sand

kclinton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Karrie Clinton
I'am going to add sand to both of my tanks. How deep should it be? I know if it's to deep it will cause gas bubbles and it would be hard to clean. Do you think I should take my critter out before I add the sand.

Hi Karrie,

An inch of sand should be fine. Definitely take the axolotl out before adding sand. The sand does not need to settle completely before putting him back in, though. I am curious about how it will work to add sand with water already in the tank - can you please tell me how that goes?

Thanks,

-Eva

A inch sounds good. I will be adding it this afternoon I will let you know.

Hi Karrie,

An inch of sand should be fine. Definitely take the axolotl out before adding sand. The sand does not need to settle completely before putting him back in, though. I am curious about how it will work to add sand with water already in the tank - can you please tell me how that goes?

Thanks,

-Eva

personally, i think its easier to make the sand flat by using the water current the "mop" to the top of of sand flat..

just seems to be easier to move... then if it was moist from rinsing...

Hi
What type of sand is best to use for an axolotl?

Thanks
Mel

Hi
What type of sand is best to use for an axolotl?

Thanks
Mel

Regular childrens play sand or pool filter sand. If you use the children's play sand make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse it some more. The pool filter sand usually doesn't need as much rinsing.

The best sand to use is either childrens' play sand (the type used for sand pits), pool filter sand, or aquarium sand. The first option is the cheapest, the last the dearest!
Whatever sand you use, it needs to be thoroughly rinsed until the water runs clear (some people use a pillow case for this) and spread in your tank to a maximum depth of 1 inch (around 2cm).
Make sure you take your axolotl out of the tank first! It would be very stressful for him/her. The water may well be a little cloudy after you've added the sand, despite the rinsing, but it doesn't take long to settle and you should soon have your axie happily back home again.

PS. If you use aquarium sand make sure it's suitable for freshwater not marine animals!

(Justin beat me to it with his reply!)

Last edited:
Hi. blueberlin sorry it took so long for me to get back to. It went really good. I took them out. Then put in the rinsed sand. I used the white moonlight sand. It also comes in black. I think is was a little easer adding the sand with water in the tank. I do have one tip Turn the filter off before you add the sand. I all most killed mine. Oops! They seems to like it. You can see little foot prints in the sand because it is so fine.

Hi Karrie!

Thanks, I was just wondering about this thread yesterday.

How did you physically add the sand? Just dump it from a bucket right onto the water or did you make some kind of funnel, or...?

Thanks,

-Eva

P.S. Yes, possibly my favorite thing about sand is seeing the little footprints.

I took all the plant hiding places out and dumped it in. I did it right after I rinsed it. I rinsed it in little batches. If you let it dry after you rinse it, I don't think it settles as well as when it is wet. You must turn off the filter. I was able to fix mine. They don't like sand running threw them.

On a sand related note be careful with the depth of sand when carrying out water changes. Whilst doing routine changes adding water back into the tank forced some of the sand to the sides of my tank which made it deeper. i ended up with an anaerobic bacteria problem in the deeper areas which really messed with my water quality. Fortunately there were no axies in the tank as i was cycling it with goldfish.

Whilst doing routine changes adding water back into the tank forced some of the sand to the sides of my tank which made it deeper.

Hi Jenskie,

Water flow strong enough to move the sand to that extent is unpleasant for your axolotl. Are you adding water from a bucket/watercan, or from a hose? If it is from a hose, the tap should be turned down so that it does not disturb the substrate. (This is how I fill my tanks - a hose and I use the plants as a guideline; if the plants don't move, the water is gentle enough.) This takes more time, indeed, but does not disturb plants, substrate, or axolotl.

If you are adding new water by pouring it, a neat trick is to put a bowl (I use a mixing bowl or a vase) into the tank and pour the water into the bowl. Then the water is just runoff and its flow is totally disrupted.

-Eva

At the moment there aren't any Axolotl in the tank just some goldfish to get it cycled. I'll try your suggestions next time i do a change to get some practice is for when the goldfish leave and the axolotl move in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back