Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: help me fix my tank please for first axolotl

Doki

Reaction score
hello

i got my first axolotl right now and wanted to ask you some advise.

i got my axolotl by walking in animal shop and i sa him in fish section so i asked seller if it's good with my fishes, and seller said yeah. i brought it home and carefully placed him to my tank, then i started reaserch for more information about that animal and to my horror everything that seller said wasnt correct!!! i removed him as fast as i could as 1. temperature in aquarium was 25C 2.he ate my guppis 3. two of my gold fishes and four guramis hited him. so he spended night in stress in plastic box. in morning i bough it aquarium that i could pay for . she seems stressed and i am unsure what to do .
here are some images.

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=1-1.jpg
i know it's small but i tryed my best on finding bigest tank i could alow myself

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=2.jpg
it's air thing and filter together, im not sure is it ok for her??

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=3.jpg
it seems small should i remove and replace it?

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=5.jpg
real tank i intended to put it in for living

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=4.jpg
my little girl. is she stressed how i understand it?

please help with advices , like i think i cant replace tanks because i got too many fishes in big tank and they dont fit in small tank so replacing tanks i guess wont work.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
There are unfortunately a number of problems here.
I have done this too, purchasing something ( Degu in this instance) with out research.
As you have noted the tank is far too warm at 25 degrees C. . Would you be able to move it somewhere cooler? maybe blow a fan across the top to try to reduce the temp?. Is there a heater in there? Also the gravel/ stones , whilst attractive can be deadly to axolotl if ( and they will) they ingest them. Axolotl also produce a fair amount of waste too which would make tank cleaning here a real nuisance. This really should be removed totally and replaced possibly with sand, or even left bare.
Axolotl will happily eat fish..as you are finding. I raise guppies for my axolotl to eat. Some fish will nibble at your axolotl and damage gills and skin so generally you should not house them together.
Keeping your axy in the fridge helps de-stress and heal. I wouldn't keep taking your axy in and out of the tank for this as it will add to your problems. This is how to fridge your axy ( thanks to the lovely Rayson )....Set your fridge to about 4-5 degree celsius.
- Put your axie in a container large enough to allow it to stretch its limbs and tail comfortably.
- Fill with fresh dechlorinated water enough to submerge it but not allowing it to float.
- Cover with a lid. You can use a perforated lid or netting to prevent it jumping out.
- Use a tea towel to cover it to keep the environment dark.
- Perform 100% water changes daily with clean dechlorinated water.
- You can pre prepare bottles of water in the fridge.
You could remove the ornament to give more space as it is too small...but having said that your axolotl would be happier with somewhere to hide.
Unfortunately you do need to move your axolotl into a bigger tank as the current one is in my opinion too small so a larger one is very necessary. I am not wishing to sound mean here, but unless you are in a position to provide a good home for your axolotl, ( reading your posts and speaking with you in chat you appear to want to) it may be best to return your axolotl to the seller as they gave you appalling advice.
Do please ask questions though as between us all we can help guide you through various aspects of axolotl care.

hello

i got my first axolotl right now and wanted to ask you some advise.

i got my axolotl by walking in animal shop and i sa him in fish section so i asked seller if it's good with my fishes, and seller said yeah. i brought it home and carefully placed him to my tank, then i started reaserch for more information about that animal and to my horror everything that seller said wasnt correct!!! i removed him as fast as i could as 1. temperature in aquarium was 25C 2.he ate my guppis 3. two of my gold fishes and four guramis hited him. so he spended night in stress in plastic box. in morning i bough it aquarium that i could pay for . she seems stressed and i am unsure what to do .
here are some images.

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=1-1.jpg
i know it's small but i tryed my best on finding bigest tank i could alow myself

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=2.jpg
it's air thing and filter together, im not sure is it ok for her??

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=3.jpg
it seems small should i remove and replace it?

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=5.jpg
real tank i intended to put it in for living

muffin_XD
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o217/muffin_XD/?action=view&current=4.jpg
my little girl. is she stressed how i understand it?

please help with advices , like i think i cant replace tanks because i got too many fishes in big tank and they dont fit in small tank so replacing tanks i guess wont work.

Doki

Reaction score
There are unfortunately a number of problems here.
I have done this too, purchasing something ( Degu in this instance) with out research.
As you have noted the tank is far too warm at 25 degrees C. . Would you be able to move it somewhere cooler? maybe blow a fan across the top to try to reduce the temp?. Is there a heater in there? Also the gravel/ stones , whilst attractive can be deadly to axolotl if ( and they will) they ingest them. Axolotl also produce a fair amount of waste too which would make tank cleaning here a real nuisance. This really should be removed totally and replaced possibly with sand, or even left bare.
Axolotl will happily eat fish..as you are finding. I raise guppies for my axolotl to eat. Some fish will nibble at your axolotl and damage gills and skin so generally you should not house them together.
Keeping your axy in the fridge helps de-stress and heal. I wouldn't keep taking your axy in and out of the tank for this as it will add to your problems. This is how to fridge your axy ( thanks to the lovely Rayson )....Set your fridge to about 4-5 degree celsius.
- Put your axie in a container large enough to allow it to stretch its limbs and tail comfortably.
- Fill with fresh dechlorinated water enough to submerge it but not allowing it to float.
- Cover with a lid. You can use a perforated lid or netting to prevent it jumping out.
- Use a tea towel to cover it to keep the environment dark.
- Perform 100% water changes daily with clean dechlorinated water.
- You can pre prepare bottles of water in the fridge.
You could remove the ornament to give more space as it is too small...but having said that your axolotl would be happier with somewhere to hide.
Unfortunately you do need to move your axolotl into a bigger tank as the current one is in my opinion too small so a larger one is very necessary. I am not wishing to sound mean here, but unless you are in a position to provide a good home for your axolotl, ( reading your posts and speaking with you in chat you appear to want to) it may be best to return your axolotl to the seller as they gave you appalling advice.
Do please ask questions though as between us all we can help guide you through various aspects of axolotl care.

yea i took some advises and changed tank inside it, the pet shop refused to take it back because they couldn't get rid of it for 2 months, people doesn't seem to like axolotls much here.
i'm geting a new tank of 60l in nearest 2 weeks, i hope she will be ok, she eats alot.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
If you can afford a larger tank soon, I think you and your axolotl will be fine. Bella gave excellent advice.

Go ahead and take out the ornament. It does seem to small to do any good for the axolotl to hide in. Can you get a terracotta pot to put in there? I've been cutting mine in half. This will give the axolotl somewhere to hide and not really cut down on floor space because the axolotl can sit/lay on top.

If there are plants around the pot, even better.

Good luck, and congratulations.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1