Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

will cynops orientalis take kindly to daphnia?

ilovenewts

Reaction score
hello, ive been feedin my 2 CFBN's bloodworms since i got them nearly a year ago, i was wondering if i should vary there diet to make things less boring for them, so i was thinking of feeding them frozen daphnia cubes, will they like this or will they reject it?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
They will eat them but the problem with frozen Daphnia is that when they thaw they lose most of their nutrients to the water and they foul the water very quickly.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You really want to supplement frozen bloodworms with some foods that are higher in calcium. Chopped earthworms are the best bet. Small calcium-dusted crickets are also good, though you may have to hold the crx under water for the newts to be able to get them. For me, it seems like much of the calcium powder stays on, even under water.

Nphec

Reaction score
In nature studies have shown that wild amphibians eat a wide variety of prey over the course of the year. One item might be the main stay for a period of time but they're not fixated on one food item. Theres no need to vary the diet as means of making things less boring but you should definitly vary the diet to make sure they're getting all the nutrition they need. The main goal of feeding your newt is to ensure you give a varied diet so through the sum total of the different food items the animal's nutrition needs can be met. If you can't do this for whatever reason supplements like what Jen is talking about is your next best bet.

micstarz

Reaction score
Newts have personal preferences. You'll only know if you try...

But feed as diversely as possible!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!