Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wheres his tail!!!!

Ranger

Reaction score
I went away for 1 day and night and wen i cam back Doom was missing half his tail and one gill!! Is it possible one of his tank mate has bitten it off? i definatly couldnt find it in the tank! The pics are of his tail (and his clocoa?) Is anyone able to determine for sure if he is a boy :)? please and thank you. Will his tail grow back? Also is a picture of Spykes clocoa im sure hes a male but it would be nice to have some say for sure :)
Please help! i fear for Dooms survival!

Attachments

• 100_0929.jpg
    100_0929.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 100_0928.jpg
    100_0928.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_0932.jpg
    100_0932.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_0930.jpg
    100_0930.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 100_0931.jpg
    100_0931.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 239
  • 100_0927.jpg
    100_0927.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 230

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Someone took a nibble off the tail. It happens. It'll grow back.

Depending on if they're old enough to be sexed, the brown one's female and the gold one's male.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ranger,

Kaysie is the expert when it comes to sexing axies. However, i am pleased to say i agree that the golden one is male and the wildtype is female, assuming they have matured enough. If they are juvenile, it can be misleading because some cloacal bulges take longer to develop fully.

Missing tail tip is probably utilised as nutrients right now for the golden albino. Just ensure optimal tank conditions (water chemistry, temperature, low currents) and nutrition and the tail tip will regenerate back. You have to provide optimal conditions though, don't let opportunistic infections take hold.

Cheers.

kira

Reaction score
Just keep an eye on the tail to make sure you don't get fungus or something, but I wouldn't worry about it. These things can happen when there are tank mates;)

As for the sex of your axies, I agree with Kaysie and Ray.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Oops, I wouldn't have agreed on their sexes,but am def not an expert! I think I better get some pics of one of my axies to you experts, as maybe he is not a boy after all, with his smallish cloaca.

And yes, I think the tail grows back,will take some time,though, and might not be the same shape as the original tail.Keep your eye out for fungus. (Looks like cottonwool) Good luck

Ranger

Reaction score
ok thanks alot guys :) Its good to know his tail is going to grow back, i will keep an eye out for an fungus. Not so good to find out he is a she as both her tank mates are golden males and i dont want any breeding. Its odd as often her clocoa is HUGE. she isnt fat so maybe she isnt holding eggs yet? Once her tail is healed i'll have to swap her for a male lol. thanks alot guys :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1