Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen Shrimp

A

achiinto

Have anyone tried feeding your amphibians with Frozen Tiger shrimp (from supermarket). This type of shrimp is usually used for dishes on dinning table. But I have a lot of them saved just for the puffer fish to eat, and one day I suddenly wanted to try some variation in the amphibian diet and I also ran out of food. It turned out SRN, CO, Warty Newts and Caecelians will eat them.

however, how is the nutrient of the shrimp as an occasional snack?

I do run them through water and also mix with blood worms and chopped earthworm together.

freves

Reaction score
I use them about once a month in order to add some variety. In general my animals go nuts over them. Today I used cut sections of thawed sea scallops instead and again most of the animals really went for them. I share Jen's concern about the salt content but I think as long as seafood is only fed sparingly as part of a varied diet then there should be no problem. There is also a freshwater shrimp species available at some supermarkets that I have used as well.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!