Question: Establishing a new set up

Firefly Buff

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Display Name
Mara
Hello. I recently visited the pet store I bought my first newts from and spoke to the owner. He has CFBNs for sale and told me that a 2.5 gallon set up would be ok for two. Since most pet stores crowd their animals I want to make sure this is accurate. I currently set up a 2.5 gallon with a submersible filter and secure top and filed about 65% with water and small landing with the intention of buying a single CFBN. The aquarium is heavily planted with a combination of silk and plasic plants that create a shady top to the water. I have a small light fixture designed for the top of this size tank (that is above the sturdy glass top)- I have yet to purchase a bulb as I wanted to make sure it was something of very low wattage that would illuminate the tank enough for the newt to have a day cycle but weak enough as not to heat the water. I live in a very cool environment so my only concern would be the light heating the water. I used regular aquarium gravel as that was used the first time I had newts and I never had a problem. Basically I would like the input from more experienced keepers of 1) is the tank described large enough 2) is there any important changes I need to make 3) what kind/size bulb do you reccomend for the lighting

All input is much appreciated and I look forward to any advice given to me. I'm far more experienced in community tropical aquariums than newt tanks. I just want the most optimal atmosphere for my future newt to be happy.

Mara, I think you are on the right track but 2.5 gal is awfully small. I'm sure a CFBN would survive in this, but it is not what I would recommend. A 10 gallon tank would be better. As you probably know from keeping tropical fish the larger the volume of water, the easier it is to keep stable water quality and temp. Remember that CFBN can tolerate warmer temps better then many newt species but prefer a range of about 60-68'F What is the "cool" environment in your home?

I live in a basement in Chicago. I would say the average temperature year round is 69. Also as far as establishing good water quality- are newts much more difficult than tropical fish to keep benefecial bateria thriving? Are they very high ammonia outputters? I have a submersible filter that has a carbon insert and I plan on doing partial water changes often.

I live in a basement in Chicago. I would say the average temperature year round is 69. Also as far as establishing good water quality- are newts much more difficult than tropical fish to keep benefecial bateria thriving? Are they very high ammonia outputters? I have a submersible filter that has a carbon insert and I plan on doing partial water changes often.

I think your filtration plans are good. Newts can be high outputers if they are crowded and or fed a lot. With one or two small newts in a 10 gal or so tank you should fine. With the 2.5 gal tank you may also be ok, but your levels can go up and down a lot. You might have to compensate for this with more water changes and food clean-ups. Cycling should not be a problem, but I would try to have the setup going for a week or so before adding the newt.

Hey yeah I would go with a 10-gallon tank, they are not that expenive, $15 at the most i bought mine for $13. i have 3 cynop orientals, and one of them is already pregnant, she is about 9 months old, dont know how it happened i have 2 females and 1 male....if you want some ideas i can put a pic of mine on for you

I appreciate all the suggestions. I have a real space issue as I live in a basement and don't have room for another 10 gallon hence the 2.5 gallon. I have had the tank cycling for a week or so. I think I will be going forth with a single CFBN. I welcome any other suggestions for optimal newt care with my situation. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back