reef fans for cooling the tank...

napoleon

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
What are your experiences with them?
How many degrees (fahrenheit or celsius) do you think 3-4 fans in a 5 gallon tank would lower the temp?

That's a lot of fans for such a small tank. It really depends where the heat is coming from. If the light or filter's causing it, they'll help. If the ambient room temperature's too high, it's not going to do a darn thing.

Lots of fans are not a good idea for cooling most amphib tanks, as they will quickly desiccate the animals. Unless of course you're referring to an aquatic setup...in which case you'll probably need to top it off daily.

I'm planning an mostly aquatic setup for cynops...
No hood...
So, your answer is no?:(

I would only use a reef fan on a fully aquatic set up. People use reef fans to cool their reef tanks. The lights they use give off huge amounts of heat . Nothing that you would use for any amphibian. It would probally cool your tank water by 2-3 degrees but I would be afraid that it would dry my land area to fast. And we all probally know from experience it only takes one day to forget to mist and find our pets alittle to dry for their own good. I just keep a circulating fan runing in my herp area to keep good air flow without any fans on just one tank. This has always worked for me.

I was always wondering, since I read that newt/salamanders need lower temperatures, how does anyone keep the temp low during the summer. In Croatia, the temp in the summer is about 25-34°C. I dont have a basement... My aquarium gets to 29°C, with a small computer fan I got it to 28°C. How do you guys in moderate climates lower the temp (I read the articles but really find them of no use- excluding the cooler idea. I've tried them all on various aquariums and they lowered the temp by 2°C tops):eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back