Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

plaster of paris

Reaction score
Has anyone used plaster of paris for aquarium decor? Does it leak harmful chemicals into the water? Or is it harmful for newts and salamanders?
thanks!

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I didn't know that plaster of paris is water resistant - won't it turn to mud in water?

-Eva

micstarz

Reaction score
Yeah. The first thing I thought about was that it is going to like turn into soup of paris...

peterrobbo

Reaction score
Plaster of paris will go hard in water and I am sure it will stay hard. I am not sure it is chemically inert, i have a feeling that it may make the water become too full off minerals ( alkaline & hard) for newts etc.
Peter

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Plaster of Paris dissolves slowly over time in water. This will be less of a problem in hard water but it will still dissolve. I wouldn't use it.

oceanblue

Reaction score
I agree with John, Plaster of Paris will set out of water but the block , which is Gypsum, (hydrated Calcium Sulphate) slowly dissolves. Slow release fish food blocks used to be sold with POP as the binder. The tank water will become very hard with high calcium and sulphate levels. Avoid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!