Frog owner-to-be!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I currently keep axolotls and would like to diversify into frogs! I love all types of frogs (well, all amphibians really!) but wondered if there is an easy 'starter' frog? I would love to have any input, best tank/vivarium, best substrate, temperature etc. if there is an easy link to these questions please excuse my ignorance and direct me there! Thank you, Kerry.

PS. this may be a really dumb question, but are poison dart frogs really poisonous to humans? Can you handle them, like for cleaning the vivarium etc?

I believe White's Tree Frog would be a great choice. If you haven't checked it out yet, amphibiancare.com is a good website.

The whites tree frog, Litoria caerulea, is an excellent starter frog. Its one of my favorites. Its not a nervous frog and once they are used to you they become quite tame - knowing when to come to you for feeding and things like that.

WC poison dart frogs are initially still toxic/poisonous but after being in captivity for a while they lose this as thier toxins are not innately born but induced from their diet. SO captive bred frogs aren't poisonous at all.

Good luck!

I'll echo the other's statements about White's tree frogs. I'll also through in a few others like the American Green tree frog, Barking tree frog, Cuban tree frog, Pacman frogs, White-lipped tree frogs, and most species of toads are all good candidates as beginner frogs.

Sharon's right about the dart frogs but I'll elaborate a little more on it. WC dart frogs get their toxins from certain beetle and ant species, this toxin has also been found in the feathers a bird species that eats the same beetles. I've handled WC dart frogs and it just makes your hands burn, :p but there is only 3 species that are deadly to humans anyways and they belong to the Phyllobates genus.

Just visit Fatfrogs.7.forumer.com and lurk and ask around. They should help you decide on what frog to get.
Im T. on there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back