Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

7 day old axolotls

kirstyA

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone had any useful info to help me, my female axie laid eggs 7 days ago today, ive been informed they take between 2-3 weeks to hatch but half of mine have hatched already at 7 days, is this normal and will they survive?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
If the water is on the warm side , it will speed up the development. I raised a batch one summer and they nearly caught me out..just managed to get the brine shrimp hatching in time!:D

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Kirsty,

One week till hatching - wow! New one on me.

In any case, the first month is the touchy time, with the first two weeks being the most critical (mainly trying to fnd food small enough to keep them alive), and the second two weeks to a lesser degree. You therefore will not have to wait long to see whether the larvae are viable.

Please do keep us updated - and I am sure nobody would complain if you gave us some baby pictures. :happy:

-Eva

kirstyA

Reaction score
Hi Kirsty,

One week till hatching - wow! New one on me.

In any case, the first month is the touchy time, with the first two weeks being the most critical (mainly trying to fnd food small enough to keep them alive), and the second two weeks to a lesser degree. You therefore will not have to wait long to see whether the larvae are viable.

Please do keep us updated - and I am sure nobody would complain if you gave us some baby pictures. :happy:

-Eva
hi eva i would love to put pics on here but only just learning how to use a computer, i will take some of their progress and when i know how i will put them on here, and yeah they totally took me by suprise seeing as the water temp is only between 20-21, at the moment they dont move much but i have put baby daphinia in with them, i have counted 13 eggs that have not yet hatched:happy:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
hi eva i would love to put pics on here but only just learning how to use a computer, i will take some of their progress and when i know how i will put them on here, and yeah they totally took me by suprise seeing as the water temp is only between 20-21, at the moment they dont move much but i have put baby daphinia in with them, i have counted 13 eggs that have not yet hatched:happy:

Hi Kirsty!

20-21°C is actually on the warm side. It's not bad, but it is definitely on the top side of acceptable. I mention it because you wrote "only 20°" and there is no "only" about it - better is more like 16°C. My tanks are at a pretty constant 18° and that seems fine for everybody - plants, snails, fish, and axolotls. The axolotls would prefer >20°C if at all possible.

No worries about the photos. I just like to look at axolotl pictures. :D

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!