Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Im having trouble housing C. Orientalis

AflackMatt

Reaction score
I have 3 Orientalis, one of which is Juvanile. I having trouble housing this juvanile with the other two aquatic ones. He is really really tiny, and he isnt eating. Ive only had them for 10 days, but still I think something is wrong. My temp of the water is about 68 to 72 depending on the temperature outside. And the other two swim fine so I dont think its the water. He has a water dish and a hiding log on the land area, but he still seems really stressed out. Should I isolate him in a small 2 and a half gallon?

By the way, I feed guppies, red wigglers, and pellets (but this guy hasnt eaten at all yet)

IloveMyNewts

Reaction score
Do please separate the smaller terrestrial one. Most likely it is suffering from stress and poor handling, as many of these newts are WC in china and go through extreme conditions to get to your local pet shop. A damp enclosure with moss and lots of hiding places is best, and try feeding him black worms from a shallow dish. Pellets do not make good food for newts. Also try pinhead crickets dusted with a good vitamin supplement.

hope this helps.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, it would be better to separate. You might even want to try a terrestrial setup, particularly if the newt is not going in to swim. And he's likely to need terrestrial forms of food. In addition to pinheads and fruit flies, also try hand-feeding with tweezers using thawed bloodworm or earthworm pieces.

Be sure to read the FAQ in my sig line.

AflackMatt

Reaction score
How should I set up his setup? I have fir and sphagnum moss. But thats about it. I can make hiding places out of cutting plastic cups in half, but what else should I provide?

:(

pugant06

Reaction score
Hi. I have recently intoduced six of these into a 3' tank. Like you I have one tiddler that is not interested in entering the water and spends all its time on the floating cork island. If like mine your larger ones are not giving the little one a hard time I would be tempted to leave him where he is. I have a half coconut shell with a couple of cut-outs sat on the cork island for cover. I am fortunate that my little one does eat satisfactory by readily taking bloodworm off the tweasers. However, I dont want it getting too used to this!!!!!! Good luck with yours and hope it pulls through. Tony

AflackMatt

Reaction score
Well I do have a tip for you...make sure your little guy doesnt get dried out. Mine has a water dish (1/4 inch deep) he occasionally goes in and soaks for a bit, so I dont have to worry about that.

iam1ru12

Reaction score
Well I do have a tip for you...make sure your little guy doesnt get dried out. Mine has a water dish (1/4 inch deep) he occasionally goes in and soaks for a bit, so I dont have to worry about that.

Just want to know: Would a juvenile newt purposely look for water to soak itself in? One of my five CFBNs would have to be a juvy as it prefers the land area in my vivarium. While that area is a bit damp, I reckon it would not dry up. But with your statement, I began to wonder whether it would seek out water on its own. [I just started to care for newts for about a week now and just today transferred them to their home: a 36inx12inx15in vivarium.]

AflackMatt

Reaction score
Well in the case of being dry or dieing, I think he would go into the water dish. In my short experiance, the juvie is creeped of the deep water but any water where he can keep his eyes and nose out of it the whole time he is fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1