Orientalis Larve and unknow guest?

IloveMyNewts

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just moved my group of twelve hatchinlings into a bigger 5 gallon set up last night, leaving the rest of the un-hatched eggs in the hatch out tank. I checked in this morning to see if i had any more, and sure enough counted four more larvae.
But, they weren't alone! Every surface in the tank, plant leaves, unhatched eggs, the walls... every surface except the floor of the tank is covered in tiny little critters

they are white and appear to look like broccoli, with a clear stem attached to the surface and a "head" of little white circles. I have encountered hydra before, and these are not them. when observing them on the walls of the tank they resemble clumps of 5 or more snail eggs, but when observed from the side or resting on plants, they are about half a centimeter tall and attached to the stalk.

no pictures i have taken can really capture them, becuase they are so tiny.

so my question is, besides what they are, would it be safe to capture the remaining larvae and put them in with the twelve already safe? or should I take them out and put them in their own enclosure?

i also have these around my tank i really need to lknow what they are asap. so some1 reply soon

Most healthy aquariums are host to a wide array of micro-fauna. Seeing these sort of critters in an established set-up is perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry to much about it unless you see them latching onto the newts or causing any problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back