Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Botfly in firebelly tank??

fishermade

Reaction score
Help! My toads have a recurring case of a small fly that looks like the botfly my horse could get. I see no evidence of burrowing in the toads, but they are dark (indicating stress?). I have thoroughly cleaned the tank, but the flys are back. Has anyone had a fly problem with their firebellies before?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
You need to show us photos of the flies. I suspect you might have phorid flies though. Was the tank dirty/lots of dead crickets before?

Otherwise they could also be fungus gnats.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you fed your frogs with Phoenix worm, fly grubs, or any other food that could turn into flies?

T

tylototriton

In some species darker coloration can mean that they are cold, which is a possibility, but is most likely not indicative of any health problems in your case. Like they said above, pics and additional info would be great. Its not a botfly, i'll tell you that right now. Most likely they are not actually related or involved with your frog in anyway and are probably there for some other reason. Let us know.

Alex

fishermade

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. I will post pics...the tank is not dirty. The toads are good hunters and I have a filter. I hope to resolve ASAP.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That didn't answer my question. Have you ever fed them Phoenix worms or soldier worms? Even if they are good hunters, they could easily miss a few! Google "soldier flies" and see if they look like those.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1