Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help needed with newt larvae

superfin

Reaction score
My Chinese fire bellies have given birth and the little sprogs are swimming all over the tank.I have had no time to prepare and I am freaking out!:eek: I have fished the little guys out but would somebody tell me what to do because I am not experiences with this.:shocked:

Chris:wacko::eek:

Last edited:

superfin

Reaction score
I've read it and I have prepared two shallow containers of water and I have put some stress coat in to get rid of the chlorine,should I wait a while longer or should i put the larvae in the containers right away?

Chris:wacko:

p.s sorry about the title I was just very exited

superfin

Reaction score
Please could someone help,they are not eating the food and they already look like mini versions of an axolotl,is this normal or are they just not eating the food.I am feeding them frozen daphnia but none take any interest to it.

Chris:dizzy:

superfin

Reaction score
How long do you think they will live without food because I can't get live food at the moment.But hopefully I can get some tomorrow.Will they live until then?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, they'll live until tomorrow. Leave them in the parents' tank until you have food for them. A well-aged aquarium usually has some native micro-organisms in it that larvae can eat.

superfin

Reaction score
Are you sure the parents wont eat them? because I only found 8 in my tank and I hear there can be up to 200.But anyway they survived the night and i'll try to get some live food later.When I get it I'll tell you what I have because I'm not so sure right now.

chris:wacko:

superfin

Reaction score
What should I do?,I asked my parents to feed the newts because I had to go out(i didnt have enough time to explain how to feed them.They put the daphnia in with the newts but they didn't drain the water from the bag of daphnia and it was very salty.Suprisingly they all survived but two have the apperance of death but when I tried to fish them out they squirmed in the net.I am going to exclude them but I'm not sure whether I should kill them (to put them out of there pain) or not

chris:(

slowfoot

Reaction score
Daphnia shouldn't be salty. Do you mean brine shrimp? As for the sick larvae, I would just leave them - many young larvae sit motionless for hours. Just let nature take its course.

superfin

Reaction score
I am not sure about the daphnia and it doesnt matter.But youre right about the newts they reccovered in an hour:happy:

chris:wacko:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most firebelly newts aren't very interested in eating their larvae. If the adults are hungry, they will. And there may be specific adults that go after them, but mostly they leave larvae alone. I would actually encourage you to leave a few of the larvae in the adults' tank and see how it goes. They often do better there than in a separate container.

If it was brine shrimp you bought for them, these are too big for young larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1