Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pet shop :(

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Well i went to the pet shop where i got my axolotl today and i was very dissapointed.
The axolotls that are left seem very unwell, they seem to be fed propperly and all but alot of them just have stumps instead of gills and one (the smallest) has half a leg with fungus growing over the half that was left.
I think i got bob just in time and saved him from this horrible faith but i cant help but feel bad about the ones that are left.
Just thought I'd post to let people know that obviously some petshops cannot take care of their axolotls. I dont think it is the carers fault as it is a largish irish chain of pet stores, i just think the people the own it decided to get them in but i feel the least they could have done is to make sure that someone there had the knowledge to care for them.

On a side note bob is doing very well since i got her. She has grown about 2 inches in the last month and her gills are alot more feathery and have gotten longer since i got her :D and she also has a little chubby belly!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This happens more often than you would think.

While it is hard, it's best NOT to 'rescue' animals from pet shops like these. It just shows the pet shop there is a demand for the animals, and they get more, and neglect those one's too. It's just putting more money in their pockets.

But that's great news about Bob. You know, with a description like that, people will start to demand pictures ;)

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Ill try and get more pictures soon but all i have here in college is my phone so the quality isn't too good.
I actually asked were they selling many and they said there was alot of them being sold but when i bought mine although i had researched for about 6 months before buying one, they tried to tell me they ate shrimp as a stable diet so i think that is probably what they are being fed in the shop.
They also told me when i asked if they could get me a specific colour morph and sex that they only came in the leucistic colour which i pointed out was wrong and then left. I also noticed the ones with no gills are swimming to the surface to breath, do you think they could actually be metamorphisising because of bad conditions or is that what happens when they loose their gills?
I wanted to "save" the one with the bad leg but i know if i did it'd just mean heartache for me and i think i'd defo rather wait untill i find another healthy tankmate for bob.
But as i said before it's not the people who are caring for them that i blame, I'm sure they are trying their best. It is the owner who orders them in even without an emplyee with experience. It's a shame but such is life i guess.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jadore axolotl,

Unfortunately well informed and responsible pet shops are on the rare side. They are businesses that ultimately deal with bulk orders of live animals and employ staff that may have little knowledge of animal care.

Personally what i do (with the 3 pet shops near my home) is that i specially prepare species care sheets - dogs, cats, birds, fish, axolotls, etc. and give them a copy for reference. I also direct them to useful online resources such as caduata.org. I believe many a times they are just uninformed and don't mean harm. Most places are actually grateful that they learn something new and will attempt to rectify their mistakes.

Granted there are some adamant, mercenary businesses that have shooed me off for being a nosey parker. I do not patronise their shops to give them business and in severe cases where i see outright abuse and cruelty, i would just report them to the RSPCA.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1