Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

East Texas, 1st Weekend of March 2009

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I spent this past weekend in pursuit of Ambystoma species in East Texas. The area I visited was new to me. The first thing that struck me when I got out of the car in the woods on the first day was just how dry the ground is right now. This part of the state hasn't seen much rain in a long time and I know for a fact that most of the Marbled Salamander females in this area wasted their time laying this time around. I found many depressions that were obviously ephemeral ponds but all were dry as a bone. Flipping revealed nothing (I spent much of Saturday and Sunday finding just that).

On Saturday I came across a muddy patch a hundred feet or so from a creek. The moisture seemed to be caused by seeping water from underground. On a hunch I looked through the debris on the mud and came up with three of these:

Dwarf Salamander (Eurycea quadradigitata):
file.php

That was the sum total of my Caudates on Saturday and Sunday, though I did meet a herd of 9 Feral Hogs in the depths of the woods on Sunday - you would be surprised how much an adult hog resembles a black bear through the undergrowth - yikes.

I decided to spend Monday in the same area. Two miles from the Eurycea seepage I came upon this pond, which was obviously pretty low on water from the colour and looking at the edges. The pond contained egg masses of the Mole Salamander, Ambystoma talpoideum, and what were either large A. talpoideum larvae or paedomorphs.

The pond:
file.php

Wide view of a few A. talpoideum egg masses:
file.php

Close-up of an A. talpoideum egg mass near hatching (note the colouration of the larvae):
file.php

And one of the large larvae (8.5 cm TL):
file.php

Not too far from here, by a road, was this pond, which contained large Marbled Salamander larvae, A. opacum, as well as A. maculatum egg masses in late development:

file.php

One of the A. opacum larvae:
file.php

One of the A. maculatum egg masses (note the opacity of the mass and the presence of symbiotic algae):
file.php

Under wood at the pond's edge there was a Yellow-Bellied Water Snake, Nerodia erythrogaster flavigaster, who does a good impersonation of the smell of skunk:
file.php

And nearby, an adult Spotted Salamander, A. maculatum:
file.php

So a disappointing weekend came good in the end. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. My only real disappointment was not finding any Small-Mouth Salamanders, Ambystoma texanum. But I will be back in a few weeks and you never know what might turn up!

T

tylototriton

Awesome photos John.
How did you shoot the large A. talpoideum larvae?

Alex

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

How did you shoot the large A. talpoideum larvae?
I shot the larva in a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium with some black-coated gravel.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
smh - thanks for posting these John. More proof I live in the wrong state.

At least I get to live vicariously through you and other dedicated caudate enthusiasts here!

SUZY

Reaction score
Well !!!!!!
I see that you were in my neck of the woods.
And now my feelings are hurt, that you didn't stop in for a steak!! LOL!!
No, really great pic's.
Hope that you enjoyed it so much. That you do come back !!
Which I know that you will.
Enjoyed your work !!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Well !!!!!!
I see that you were in my neck of the woods.
And now my feelings are hurt, that you didn't stop in for a steak!! LOL!!
No, really great pic's.
Hope that you enjoyed it so much. That you do come back !!
Which I know that you will.
Enjoyed your work !!
I'm actually thinking of visiting Smith County to look for salamanders this coming weekend... What kind of steak are we talking about?

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
hey nice pics, i wish i could go out and look for wildlife, of course i live in the city and my parents are like eeewwww gross, i am trying to get them to go somewhere like that

mikebenard

Reaction score
Great photos! Looks like an excellent outing. Probably won't be too long until here in N. Ohio we get some major breeding activity. Mike

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1