Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T.marmoratus vivarium construction.

grius

Reaction score
Hello!

Yesterday I started my first vivarium project for my 2.3.4 Triturus marmoratus group, but i cant continue before the epotex aquarium seling arrives and some other material, i need too seal the plyfa bottom from water damage among other things.

The tank is large with inside dimesion at 120x82x58cm lxwxh, it`s much off space for water area, land area and so that the background dont take all the surface. I will build the pound in styrofoam, cement and too seal the cement i use tapcrete that many zoo use in their tanks, and the rest consist off false bottom. Under the false bottom a shall drill a hole and attach a tap to the plyfa so i easily just can empty the remaining water into a bucket and dont have too worry about stationary water.

Too get the right temp in the vivarium i have to construct a radiator systeme, and for that i use a litle freezer(52x58x52cm lxwxh) this is the last stage and wont get ready untill the end off the month.

Here are some photos from yesterdays work, i post the rest as fast i get started again.

some off the Background material:
fffffffffff021.jpg

fffffffffff040.jpg

fffffffffff044.jpg

fffffffffff046.jpg

fffffffffff047.jpg

The finished vivarium.
jjjjjkjftt.jpg

Regards.

grius

Reaction score
Hello.
Just a litle uppdate.

Now i have put the two layers of epotex aquarium seling, saw out hole for one of the pipes that will go from the freezer, and the tap is in place.
I will continue tomorrow with the glassfront, false bottom and i hope to get much done the coming week.

I have a nice picture in my head how the final tank shall look, so i hope it goes as planed.

fffffffffff082.jpg

Regards.

grius

Reaction score
Things are on it way now, the preparation for the water area and the land transition is almost done. But much more to do both whit some rock parts and the background.

fffffffffff114.jpg

fffffffffff115.jpg

fffffffffff117.jpg

fffffffffff120.jpg

fffffffffff124.jpg

Here you can se how i shaped the froglit to make use for more land area(cocos, moss and leafs)

fffffffffff126.jpg

And also here a litle land area.

fffffffffff121.jpg

Hope you like it, i will continue tomorrow whit the bakground and stone parts.
Regards.

Badmungo

Reaction score
I've seen your work before and i know this will look great! Keep posting. I really look forward to the end.

Fredrik

grius

Reaction score
Hello Fredrik.

Thanks for inaugurate my thread, someone has to be the first hehe. I hope that myselfe, im not so worried. The only thing that might go wrong is the paintning, thoug i belive i have that relative under control.

Best regards.

IanF

Reaction score
Looks very good, looking forward ot the finished result. What are planning on using to paint those styrofoam structures?

grius

Reaction score
Looks very good, looking forward ot the finished result. What are planning on using to paint those styrofoam structures?

Thanks.
I will cover all foamplates whit cement that i after form/scrape cracks in, before the cement has hardened. Then i use a produkt called Tapcrete that i blend out with colour powder as i paint on the faux background/rocks and the water part. All gets waterprof and is no harm to the newts. Some Zoo/enclosure/park "decoraters" use this among others.

I bought my 3L from a faux rock company.
http://pune.indiabizclub.com/catalog/34036~tapcrete~pune

KennyDB

Reaction score
Very!!! curious about the outcome, would love to try something like this so thanks for sharing.

grius

Reaction score
Holy diver!

I did not know that marmoratus was a cliff living species hehe,,just kidding i hav to redo alot to get more land area. I shall chape the topp of the background so it get less flat surfase because this just look strange.

fffffffffff145.jpg

fffffffffff146.jpg

fffffffffff149.jpg

As you see not mutch for substrate.

Regards.

grius

Reaction score
I have decided to do a new background, this dont look good and i whant this cage to be exacly like i have imagine! But i shall wait untill the water/rockpart is completly finished, then i can see the overall picture.

Not easy to build a background with deep, i dont have enought space in the vivarium.

Regards.

grius

Reaction score
Hello Kenny.

Well what can i say hehe, i have rebuild this waterpart and so some times now and i just wont get satesfied with the results. But today i did build a new and i got more deep in my tank as i wanted. I will have substrate aswell and thats what the small hole parts is fore, and i belive i shall saw out the holes for false bottom and just use some simple tapps on 2-3places.

Well here is the new water and stone slope.

fffffffffff243.jpg

Im not entirely done with it but almost.

fffffffffff239.jpg

fffffffffff209.jpg

Here is the test build that i made before this i got finished today. But no deep there neither.

fffffffffff212.jpg

Regards/Tomas

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I see the evidence of all your hard work.......all the pieces of polystyrene all over the floor! Bet it's a time-consuming job getting all that picked up! The rock scenery looking good though.

Badmungo

Reaction score
Cant wait to see the result of all this. Please keep us informed with your progress.

Fredrik

grius

Reaction score
I see the evidence of all your hard work.......all the pieces of polystyrene all over the floor! Bet it's a time-consuming job getting all that picked up! The rock scenery looking good though.

You should see the five bigg plastic bags behind with polystyerne, i have now wasted eight plates(120x60x10cm, so just imagine how it looks;)

Thanks you two, i keep you uppdate. Btw Fredrik, he is doing fine and i see him out several times per day exploring and looking at me.

Regards/Tomas

Badmungo

Reaction score
Nice to here he is doing fine. I know he is in good hands though. I hope he to some day will end up in one of youres creations.

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
It's fun to see the progress on this creative project. I love the carving of rocks and landscape out of the styrofoam!

lilacdragon7

Reaction score
This is REALLY great. I'm thinking this is a very fascinating. Is there a profession for something like this? I person for hire, to go and set up vivariums. If there was I think I could totally do this for a living. I set up my own tank. . . Tank, not this wonderful looking project here. If I could provide this to my newts I would feel like pretty damn proud of myself.

I'm going to be following this closely, taking tips. AWESOME thread, looking forward to the outcome.

Ingo

Reaction score
AW: T.marmoratus vivarium construction.

Hi,

but the progress is in snail`s pace??

sorry for that teasing;-)))

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1