Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Gah thats an awful title.

Ok I wanna redo my tanks and I found these sand sites. I hope to order a lot resell some to make up the costs.

BUT I'm having issues with size! Isn't sand... well... sand?

there is this site... http://www.aquariumsands.com/Green_Aquarium_Sand_p/2000s11.htm i know it looks awfully coarse but its got the same size rating as their "fine" beach sand. so maybe the picture is just really blown up? Or maybe they got that sample from the bottom after upending a bag/box and got the larger pieces? yes yes I have hopes.

And there is this site... http://safesand.stores.yahoo.net/50pobucosa.html in the FAQ it says excellent in aquariums and doesn't bleed but they're obviously artificial colors......

Anyone?

is 1/20th of an inch safe?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Sharon,

I had to do a metric conversion on 1/20 of an inch. I'm not a math whiz so here is my work: 1/20 = 0.05. 0.05 inches = 1.27 mm. If those pebbles are less than 3mm they will be fine for an adult axolotl. They sure look bigger in the picture, though.

As to the rest... I don't even want to risk an opinion. My opinion would be irrelevant to the question. ;)

-Eva

ferret_corner

Reaction score
lol venture an opinion!!!!

hahaha if you have concerns or comments please voice them!

b00f

Reaction score
maybe, see if they can send you a small sample?

if your spending that much dosh, on sand, and then more on shipping, i cant see why they wouldnt :p

its just good customer service

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Sharon, sand is .... well .... sand, however all sand is not created equal.

Sand is made of minerals and tiny pieces of rock that have come from the erosion and weathering of rocks. The composition of sand varies from place to place depending on the sources and conditions of the local rocks.

The most common constituent of sand in inland continental settings (e.g. deserts) and non-tropical coastal settings (e.g. beaches), is silica (silicon dioxide SiO2), often in the form of quartz.

Arkose is a sand or sandstone with a high content of feldspar (an Aluminum Silicate), usually derived from the weathering and erosion of nearby granite.

Much of the fine white sand found in coral reef settings is ground-up coral (limestone) that has passed through the digestion system of the parrot fish.

Some places have sands that contain magnetite, clays, chlorite, glauconite, or gypsum. Sands rich in magnetite are dark to black in color. The chlorite - glauconite bearing sands are typically a green color. The gypsum sand dunes of the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico are famous for their white color.

Common variety sand pit sand and pool filter sand are silica based and considered the safest due to the lack of minerals and leachates.

Hope this helps.

I don't use any substrate.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sharon,

The picture of the 'fine sand' looks like rabbit faecal pellets. Hideous. The colour palette from the other sand company is a bit to pyschedelic for my liking. I really do feel you should get a sample from them if you are interested.

Just as long as they are the right size and intended for freshwater aquariums (doesn't leach out), they should be alright for use.

Actually i have a play sand pit just outside my house. If possible i will send you a gift of sand, courtesy from Yours Truly.

Cheers.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Ok i just found this info...

Green Aquarium Sand
Color = Green
Size = 1/20" [0.70 - 2.00 mm]
Shape = Round
Physical Form = Solid
Texture = Coarse
Specific Gravity = 2.7 [Water =1]
Birthplace = Corona, California
Fresh/Saltwater Use OK = Yes

made up of Feldspars & Quartz.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sharon dear,

That looks like your ideal dream sand. I haven't seen green sand before, do remember to put up some pics when done!

Hugs

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I explained my concerns and asked for a sample to have a look at up close - they're sending two or three and gave me a discount to be applied to the potential future sale.

if the sand doesn't work they have some other really cool stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!