Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My first amphibians :)

Limede

Reaction score
Hi, I'am from Portugal, and I think my english is bad...but you can understand...eheh
I have 14 years old, and I'am fascinated with this little big world:grin:

This are my 2 Cynops orientalis, i have bougth them last Friday...

aa.jpg

a.jpg

and this is their provisory tank (37x20x25) (I will "built" an premanent tank with 50x30x30 for more 2 Cynop luckly:rolleyes:)

(this is an old photo)
P3030037.jpg

in an amphibian portuguese forum, they told me that I have a couple:eek: and I thougth that too!

The "boy"
P3080080.jpg

The "girl"
P3080076.jpg

What you think?

But...well, I think that my female is pregnant or is with a disease...(that bloat thing:()

7be53991.jpg

I don't know if this is a cause to sutch alarm...but I'am a beginner...eheh

Cump:happy: and tell me what you think, please...

jbherpin

Reaction score
They look good to me. I can't say for sure, but it does appear to be male and female. I wouldn't worry about bloat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Limede

Reaction score
So...you are just saying that she is only...a little bit fat?:D lol
I'am glad that is not some disease...ufff

Holding2k9

Reaction score
The tank looks very basic to me.
what are you feeding them and how are you maintaning the water levels .
have you really thought this through or have you just got 2 cynops for fun?

Limede

Reaction score
No! I don't have the cynops only for fun...I have them because I love animals!:D Ofcourse I enjoy looking at them...but I know that they need some "especial" needs! I only have these in this tank because these amphibians are rare in my zone and I were afraid that i couldn't find them 1 or 2 months later...troust me...here you only found some dwarf clawed frogs...

Yes, I know that the tank is realy basic, but if you read what I wrote in the first post, the tank is only temporary! I will post some ideas of the permanent tank;)

I feed them with frozen food, and some pellets for fish (they realy love that:rolleyes:), but I will try feed them earthworms and wax worms (??).

What water levels are you talking about? Ph? Ammonia?....temperature?
The temperature is about 16-19Cº...I read that the ideal is 15-20Cº...so I think this is good, the Ph I thik it is around 7 or 7.5

Cump:happy: and thanks for the comments

Limede

Reaction score
Well...fresh photo and video!;)

My boy:D
P3130094.jpg

Fedding time (the male is the closest (??))

And this will be thir home!
Semttulo-4.jpg

(if anyone wants the "inch" version of this photo, feel free to ask for it:happy:) in this tank I hope to have 3 more newts!:eek:

Cump:happy:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That would be a 52l tank. Should be ok for 5 C.orientalis, although i would choose a bigger one or fewer animals.

If you are going to keep them in such an sterile and basic way, even if it´s for just some time, you should at least try to provide them with much more water. The more the better, because the greater the volume, the more dissolved the nasty compaunds will be. Plus it will help stabilizing the water temp, and parametres.

I would encourage you to add some plants even in the temporary tank, some plants live well just floating there.

Limede

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment:happy:

yes in the temporary tank I want some plants...elodeas, but I don't found them...this week end, I will see that:wacko:

so in that tank you should put only 4?...:rolleyes:

In one week I chenge water 3 times...it has no filter so...I only touch them when necessary...like the water changes:happy: I could feed them flies? pill bugs?

Reaction score
Wellcome to this amazing world. You'll love them and hope you will become a great herptologist.

I just would furnish the tank with some plant (elodea is great) and some stones and replace the porexpan island with a cork bark. This will make the setup more natural.

Be aware of the raise of temperatures, and keep them in a cool place.

Limede

Reaction score
Yeah! I hope that too:D

I would like the tank more natural...but this is only temporary, so I tryed not to spent a lot of money...the porexpan I had it home...so:rolleyes: but I'll try to get some elodeas

What substracte I should put in the bottom? sand? gravel?...

And if some one, can tell me names of flutuant plantes? I was grateful:happy:

Last edited:

Limede

Reaction score
Only for some "update":rolleyes:

I bought 2 feet of elodea (3€...:mad:) and they love them...they pass all the time there ehehe:D see the pictures:

P3210195.jpg

P3210196.jpg

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I see there are bubbles in the plants which makes me think the water has chlorine in it. You shouldn´t use untreated tap water, it´s toxic for the newts.
Also, water changes should only be partial, not total.
Check this link and learn it by heart, proper cycling of an aquarium is very important:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

In fact, when you have time i recommend you read all the articles, and specially check the caresheet for Cynops orientalis.

Limede

Reaction score
Later I will read that, thanks;) now I can't....

I think the water don't have chlorine, because I leave the water "resting" more than 24 hours, so the water will be without chlorine...true?:confused: I don't make partial changes, because I don't have a internal filter yet...and there are a lots of poo:D eheh

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don´t understand....so you make total changes because you don´t have a filter?
Partial(20%) changes are enough to maintain water quality if the tank is not crowded.
Total changes will reset the cycling process each time you make them, which means you are never going to have a cycled tank if you do them....which puts your newts in risk.
You don´t need a filter. It´s up to you to use one or not, but this species inhabits still water, and strong currents will stress them and force them to leave the water, so if you use a filter, make sure the current is gentle.
Make 20% partial water changes every 1-2 days for the first month or so, until the tank is cycled, and you should be ok....but keep a close eye on the newts.

Limede

Reaction score
Letting the water sit is not a very efficient way of removing chlorine. Here is a link on water quality http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml. Look at the bottom.

Ok...so I need to use some product right?....I only don't use because I want it the more natural way possible...but I will use:rolleyes:

I don´t understand....so you make total changes because you don´t have a filter?
Partial(20%) changes are enough to maintain water quality if the tank is not crowded.
Total changes will reset the cycling process each time you make them, which means you are never going to have a cycled tank if you do them....which puts your newts in risk.
You don´t need a filter. It´s up to you to use one or not, but this species inhabits still water, and strong currents will stress them and force them to leave the water, so if you use a filter, make sure the current is gentle.
Make 20% partial water changes every 1-2 days for the first month or so, until the tank is cycled, and you should be ok....but keep a close eye on the newts.

Yes...I know what is the cycling process....eheh I have a fish tank:D but whena I have the permanent tank (with a filter...not too strong) I will do only partial changes...because the bacterias in the filter (and so on....:talker:)but if I do that in this tank....the water will be cloudy and full of poo:( I tried once...

However...I think I can have the tank in two weeks:D and they look very fine to me;)

Limede

Reaction score
OMG!:eek: I saw...4 eggs in one of the elodeas...what now:D...I realy don't know what to do...but I know that the female don't put all the eggs in one time...correct?

Some help please;) I will be apreciated!

lilacdragon7

Reaction score
OK! BREATHE! lol

HOORAY! Eggs are good! Eggs mean your doing something right. I don't think this lay is from recent breeding, but from a past life, in another tank. Also GOOD, means she came from a healthy background. Now I don't know much else about CFB breeding so GOOD LUCK!!!

Other than that I think your doing a WONDERFUL job, just something to throw in for advice.

Your permanent tank needs to set for a few weeks before placing them in there, I'm sure you know the rest. Now for using chemicals to treat your water, it would just be best. The other way obviously hasn't hurt you, but for safe measure. The plants alone will help break down the Nitrates and Nitrites, turning them neutral. Newts LOVE them as well, so you have notice, so you permanent setup should have more than a few plants in there from the beginning to help with the cycle.

Just use the SEARCH option, look up Cynops Orientals breeding, water cycling for terrariums, Cynops Oriental care sheet, Preparation for a possible heat wave!!! (Important), Foods high in calcium and nutrients... You know, look around. Tons of people have already asked you questions AND more than what you've thought to ask. (It'll also help with the English practice! lol)

You're doing GREAT!!! your newts LOOK great. It's a good start!

Another tip. CFB (Chinese Fire Bellies) ARE intolerant to high temps.

I'll be checking in on this thread. Keep it goin.

Limede

Reaction score
Hi:D thanks for the comment...I realy apriciate that;) eheh
I will see more information around the forum:happy:

Yesterday I separated 3 eggs from the elodeas, today I have 5-6 more eggs:eek: oh-oh...eheh:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1