Ecosystem Update/Concerns

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I thought I would update you on my ecosystem concerns, and for those of you who didn't read my previous post, I will fill you in briefly. At my work, there is an ecosystem full of crayfish, snails of all kinds, Firebelly toads, fish, a Paddle Tail newt and a newt that is said to be a Rough backed newt ( or Green newt), and even some creatures that I am not familiar with.

My concerns are around the temperatures of the ecosystem being so high ( at 27 degrees Celsius) and also that these creatures are being housed with other creatures that don't make sense to me at all ( Firebelly Toads that need the heat lamps).

I tried to inform the folks in charge about my concerns, even printing off info from this site, and highlighting it.

The response I got was this:

1. The newts are fine. 18 degrees Celsius is the temperature that the Paddle Tail needs only in order to breed, not to live.

2. The temperature at the bottom of the tank is likely much cooler, and that because the thermometer is at the top of the tank, it is only telling the temperature from the top ( where the heat lamps are).

3. Because the newts sometimes choose to rest at the top ( near the lamps), that proves that they are fine. If the newts were uncomfortable with the heat, they would go in the water where it was cooler.

I am also unsure of what kind of newt the Rough Back or Green newt is. I tried to look up this newt on your site, and I can't find information on it. I did see a " Rough Skinned Newt", but the guy in charge said that the newt we have is not a Rough Skinned Newt, but a Rough Back or Green Newt.

All of this is not sitting well with me at all. I have raised Chinese Firebelly newts, which are all happy and healthy, and I feel that with all of the research that I have done over the years, I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to these amazing creatures. This response doesn't make any sense to me.

Any advice you have would be appreciated, or if I am worrying for no reason, please tell me.

Thank-You.

That sucks, I don't believe his claim that the lamps are not heating up the water. I hope you find a way to resolve this. Since this is at your work can't you mention your concern to your boss or someone in management.
-dave

You have voiced your concerns. They don't belong to you. You've done the best you can. Time to let it go otherwise you'll wind up the nosy "ignorant" pain in their butts. In their heads anyway.

We know you're right, we know they're wrong. If it really bothers you then absent yourself from the project if you can.

For me, it's not about right or wrong, really. It's only really that important to me because the newts in there are these amazing creatures that can't speak up for themselves. They are not in a good environment, they are living creatures....It's very upsetting. I don't think I can really let it go...I'm very aware of animal rights issues. This seems to fall into that category...I wish there was more I could do.

Animal rights? Seriously?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_rights
Animal rights, also known as animal liberation, is the idea that the most basic interests of animals should be afforded the same consideration as the similar interests of human beings.[1] Animal rights advocates approach the issue from different philosophical positions, but they agree that animals should no longer be regarded as property, or used as food, clothing, research subjects, or entertainment, but should instead be viewed as legal persons and members of the moral community.

and the PETA view.. http://www.peta.org/campaigns/ar-uncompromisingstands.asp

Honestly I wasn't able to get past some of the lead up rhetoric on PETAs' site.

I went back and read your previous post. You said this is at your school. Elementary? Highschool? University? Are you a student or employee? From the way you said it was "our school" I got the impression you are a student.

You seem to be railing against the horribleness of their conditions without providing an acceptable substitute or maybe you aren't backing up your "opinion". In the event you've done both of those things I really think you need to let it go.

You could pursue this until they cave in to your demands or they fire you or label you a nuisance.

You know I think you're right. I wish they had seen the sense of what you had to say. But I get the feeling you're getting all worked up about this when there isn't much you can do about it. Unless you improve your presentation or debating skills or you find someone higher up who cares I don't foresee any change without negative effects coming back on you.

What is your plan to get them to change their minds?

Yes, I agree with sharon. Unless you can get more people on your side I don't think there would be much you can do. Not everyone views these creatures the same way we do. Well best of luck.

What amazes me is...all those creatures live together? How big is the enclosure? That is not healthy at all. You should focus on seperating the creatures more than the temperature, in my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back