Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

plz. my newt is loosing his leg i think

ned

Reaction score
ok i got a firebelly from a freaking pet shop that also carries pupies, reptiles, salt, fresh water fish, and small animals. well the thing is they didnt even know what the thing ate and worst of all he looked so bad he's so small has a nub for a frount hand his back leg is hanging on by a thread and it got worse since i brought him home he was using it now it just hangs their limp. :( . white meat is all around it do i need to remove the white stuff?? i also have read that sometimes people have to resourt to removing the leg i hate to have to do this but i'm afraid that i'm going to have to do this. and what type of antibotic do i use and i've heard about using bedadine. his water is clean i change about half daly just to make sure and i have a "old" (for the lack of better term) bio wheel helping to reduce the amoana. but still all my mesure ments are 0. gosh i hope i can make him better i have other newts in another tank and they alll have had no prob. well i guess its time to learn but any advice and instruction as to how to performe the procdure since the local extoic vet said "newt thats like a salamander right no we don't treat them". soo.. help i want to make his life better.

Neuter

Reaction score
Your newt was imported from China in horrrific conditions. This is pretty much par for the course. This happened to me with my first newts. I would wait for others to comment but I doubt he would recover and it sounds like he may be suffering a lot. Rubbing common orajel onto it's stomach is an easy and painless way to put your newt down.

Don't blame yourself, you did what you could but fire belly newts are imported under terrible conditions, I bet you would find most of the batch he came with in similar condition.

ned

Reaction score
dang so you think theirs no hope? I realy wanted to rescue him and make him batter I've done the same for my fish I just wanted to step up my hobby from breeding discus and dwarf chiclids man I've grown attched to him I would really like to save him any ideas on what type of mess to use and how much pls I want to make him better PLEASE

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I already referred you to the treatment articles on Caudata Culture, so I assume you have already ruled out all the treatment options given?? I would recommend keeping the newt on damp paper towels in a ventilated plastic tub in a cool place. Change paper towels daily. Dab the wound with Neosporin (the kind WITHOUT the pain killer). I can't promise this will cure it, but at least the newt will be clean and comfortable, and you will feel that you are doing something that may help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1