Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Another beginner species

AflackMatt

Reaction score
I have 3 C. orientalis currently, but I want to expand my collection. I am only interested in frogs, terrestrial sals, or larger newt species (like phyrrogastor)

I have alot of knowledge, and can provide the right things, I just dont have the most time (thats the only reason I said beginner species). I am active and play football and some days takes 7 hours out of the 12 hours I am awake. I wanna know what would be the easiest to care for, based on the amount of time needed. I am about to move my stand to my basement, so temp is no concern.

Tiger Sal?
Fire-Bellied Toads?
Japanese Fire Bellied Newts?
Marbled Sal?
Spotted/Blue Spotted Sal?
Fire Sal?

What would be the overall easiest species to keep?

Also, if it matters, I only have like $80
The only thing I could get with that would be the Fire Bellied Toads unless I wait to get more money

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Pleurodeles waltl (spanish ribbed newt) is definitely your best choice. They are commonly bred, which means they are rather cheap, healthy, and extremely easy to care for. Not the prettiest of animals, but it compensates with a great personality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!