Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The new setup

A

AmandaLyne

This is the new setup. It houses 4 wildtype.

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg
IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Or any suggestions.

tran

Reaction score
The tank looks nice! But wouldn't that log to the left be a better hiding spot if it were horizontal on the bottom of the tank (like a tunnel) instead of on its side? More hiding area that way...:D

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Very colourful! Excuse my ignorance, but what fish are they in there? Also, is there any way of fitting more hidey places in? There doesn't look to be many for 4 axies, I know what it's like to fit enough hidey holes in, I have a four foot tank and I'm always on the look out for decent hides for my axies!

A

AmandaLyne

They are gold fish and no not from the petstore they are my own i breed them. Itsa good treat for them they chase them all over the tank. I am putting sand in this summer i think or i may leave it bare..I am always on the lookut for hides for them i was using pvc but it was ugly lol

WanderingStar

Reaction score
You have a lovely tank! I have large stones (greater than 1/2") in the bottom of my tank because I've heard axies have problems gripping the bottoms of bare tanks, but do you not find this to be a problem?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My tank is mainly bare bottomed and my axolotl have no problems at all. If you look at their toes when they are against glass you'll see that the tips all most look like 'suckers'....this seems to be enough to help them get around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1