The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 12th March 2009   #1
melfly
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Babies with orange (brine shrimp) bellies!

Hi there
My babies are about 2 weeks or so from 1st one hatching
I am feeding microworms and brineshrimp
The last week or so the larger babies have all had bright orange bellies after eating brine shrimp
Is it normal? some seem very very full with shrimp!

Also my largest one seemed to have a cut on the side of his belly yesterday could this be one of the others injuring him

I have 5 in one small tub at the moment (4 in another and two tubs with 2 babies in) do you think i should seperate them out a bit more?

Thanks
Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009   #2
melfly
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Babies with orange (brine shrimp) bellies!

I've come to the conclusion - after noticing 3 of them have small injuries - that they may be mistaking each others 'shrimp bellies' for brine shrimp

I have put them in a much larger container and sorted them out into sizes too

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009   #3
Phil
(philbaker76)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: philbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and information

Hi there, it's normal for them to have the same colour bellies as what they're eating.

I don't have any experience of feeding microworms or brineshrimp; but I think you've done the right thing by seperating them.

Cheers, Phil

philbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009   #4
sharelkaye

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 1
Rep: sharelkaye has started on the right path

Seperating them will help lessen the chance of injuries and yes it is normal for their bellies to be orange. I noticed the same thing too when I fed mine brine shrimp. it is a good thing you can see it though if you think about it because you can tell if they are eating and full.

sharelkaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(brine, babies, bellies, bellies!, brine, orange, shrimp, shrimp)