Shanjing vivaria problem

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
Hi. I have made many setups to my newt based always in the same, black turf soil moss, moss, some fern and wood. But the newt with the time screws all the setup, the moss becomes many times dried out and I can´t stand looking to that mess. I have seen in the web some realy nice setups based on empiled Basalt rocks that gives such a nice looking to the vivaria and "reforce" the T.shanjing colouration what seems to be even better. I thought in doing that sonner I could, but I have read an article were they said that its unadvisable having the setup without some "soil" because it will have a very low average in Nitrifying bacteria witch will harm the animals has it appears...:confused: How can I make a rock-based setup without having a def. rate of Bacterial life forms?
Any sugestions for the setup?
The life of a shanjing, and also another caudata depend a lot in bacterial life has many may not
believe, so I wouldn´t undervalue such a problem.
Thanks by all helps,

elJorgo​

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back