Fertilized In One Go?????

Lee31

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My female alpine newts and marbled newts are all laying eggs, i always thought that the females mated with the males and basically fertilized all her eggs in the one go??? Do we know this for sure or do they lay a batch, re-mate again then lay another batch as the males are still fanning around them and the females seem to show interest??? Also do the females come ready-equipped with a full belly of maybe 300 eggs or does it work as in she will be continually producing new eggs to replace the ones she has laid??? I am intersted to know as I am considering seperating the males from the females to let them get on with egg-laying and to decrease the amount of animals in the tanks that willeat the eggs..But don't want to take males away if they are still key to the reproduction process??

lee

I´ve seen gravid females accept spermatophores several times through the laying period. However, i´m not sure that means they need more spermatophores in order to keep laying. It might have an effect on the duration of egg-laying, i dunno.
I think they produce the eggs in series. They´ll get fat with eggs, deposit them, rest for a couple of days while they generate more and then lay again. I´ve seen my C.orientalis female do that for 9 months.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back