Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

babies with blood on their sides

melfly

Reaction score
Hi there
I have some month old axie babies
Most are feeding well but i have notices red marks on the sides of their bellies
It looks like injuries or cuts or something.
They seem to heal after a day or two but its quite a few of them that have them and they keep coming back

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mel

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Although i might be wrong, by your description i´d say it´s just food....
If you are feeding them with Artemia, Daphnia, or anything like that their bellies will get red when full of food. Completely normal...

Velaria

Reaction score
Mine have those red marks on their bellies too. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I think that when they're that young, their bodies are so transparent that you can pretty much see everything inside them, including food, internal organs, etc. I think that the bloody area is just some kind of internal organ. I'm willing to bet on it :)

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Heya,

can you quote how red it is? I remember I got mine when he was only about 3 months old and he was still transparent so you can see his insides and he was usually red where he ate and you can see the food. It wasn't super red looking back his photo. I've attached two photos for you to see. I'm sure a younger axie would be more transparent

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your replies
their bellies are orange with brine shrimp but all seem to be getting a red bit mainly on their left sides. Its bright red like blood.
I thought it was small injuries or something but now i'm not too sure?!

oceanblue

Reaction score
These red patches are normal. My healthy leucistic larvae have them. I think they are liver, the spleen should be on the other side. The liver is a very vascular organ hence the red colour.

Heather at HMSG

Reaction score
These red patches are normal. My healthy leucistic larvae have them. I think they are liver, the spleen should be on the other side. The liver is a very vascular organ hence the red colour.

Liver and heart I think you'll find! - I have printed out John's diagram of internal organs, and have it laminated on A4 beside babies tanks at school. See http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm, halfway down page.

Heather

oceanblue

Reaction score
I've looked at the diagram and my smallest larva. This red patch is on the left side so my former post is wrong. The heart can be seen best from below, it is almost in the neck and you can see the beating.

I'm pretty sure this red patch is spleen.

melfly

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance was getting a bit worried.

Just been watchin them feeding - its fun!

Thanks
Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1