Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Appropriate Tank Size?

ZoologyGirl

Reaction score
Hello. I'm thinking of possibly picking up an axolotl in the future and someone pointed me to this site. I'm wondering if a 20 gallon long would for a single axolotl. I think that's approx 30x12x12 (inches). And just in case, could I fit more than 1 in this size tank?

Thanks!

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
thats just a little smaller than mine and i have one axie in it and am hoping to get a second one for it. So i think it is ok for two but thats about it, hopefully i haven't calculated it wrong or else i won't be getting my second axie :(

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi zoologygirl,

Im afraid a tank of that size would ultimately be too small to even house 1 adult axolotl comfortably. You would have to provide more space for include things like hidng spots and more crawling space for welfare purposes.

A larger tank (bigger dimensions as well as volume) will also provide more stable water temperature and parameters.

If you intend to house a pair comfortably in future, i would recommend at least a 3 foot tank.

Cheers

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
rayson is that really too small for one? i was hoping to house two in my 2 1/2 foot tank but if 2 foot is too small for one does that mean that my tank is too small for two?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jadore,

To provide the best environment and space for the axie, i would say 2 1/2 foot is alright for a full grown adult, but preferably not 2. I suppose it depends on how you wish to look at it. If you want to provide adequate space to include 2 hiding place per axie, 2 1/2 foot tank might be a tight squeeze for a pair. If you intend to have a no frills tank, it probably can still hold 2 but in much less than ideal conditions.

Ultimately its still the dimensions that matter the most so if you have a tank with a huge surface area but short, i suppose its still workable.

In general, its best to get the biggest tank you can afford because the bigger the tank size, the easier to manage the tank.

Cheers

ZoologyGirl

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys!

So 2 1/2 foot is ok for 1 adult?

My other option is we might use our spare 55 gallon (roughly 48inx13in). How many axi's would this be adequate for?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi again zoologygirl,

Yes a 2 1/2 ft tank can quite safely and comfortably house 1 adult and still have space for hiding places. The bigger tank can hold 2 or 3 full grown adults.

Cheers.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
A 20 gallon long tank is plenty of room for a pair of axolotls. A rule of thumb is about 10 gallons per axolotl. Of course foot print size and good biological filtration are the most important considerations.

WanderingStar

Reaction score
I find that my 3 axies are very happy and healthy in a 30 gallon tank, although it IS a squat tank with greater length and width dimensions than a normal tank. I also have a log in the tank where they like to hide, and plenty of plants, and they seem quite comfortable (they're all about 6 1/2" at this point).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1