Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Enough eggs!

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Hi friends,

My FBNs have been having offspring which was not planned at all as I listened to the ignorant pet store about this being a very unlikely thing, even if I had a m/f pair.

OK, now I have nearly a dozen larvae and another dozen eggs. I don't want more. Would separating the adults now deter this or is the deed done and she will lay until she's done laying? She still appears quite plump/gravid.

Please advise. I'm committed to raising what we have or will donate to some of you should they survive, but I don't want to be overwhelmed anymore than I already am. We are very attached to these little guys, but enough is enough! I'm fearful of her laying into the hundreds! Please tell me if separating the adults would help her stop or if it's just going to happen - don't want to harm her if the eggs need to come out either way. I'm not comfortable w/ letting the adults feast on them, btw. I save everything but know I am getting to the point where I need to consider all options.

Help,
Dana

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you´ve had them for a short period of time, it´s unlikely the female will lay a huge amount of eggs. Separating them will have no effect, cause the female stores the sperm.
Since you can´t really prevent her from laying more, and you are absolutely right in saying enough is enough, i suggest you simply leave the excess eggs in with the parents. Some will probably make it, and metamorphose with a nice size (competition, survival of the fittest, etc).
Although larvae are easy to care for, juveniles are quite a pain, so you definitely don´t want a large group.
I understand you not being comfortable with leaving the eggs to their fate, but i have to say, fertile, developing eggs are rarely, almost never, eaten(at least in my experience), plus though it might be a bit sad, it´s only natural....

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Why are juveniles a pain? I'm concerned w/ where to put and what to do w/ all the tanks I'll need as I don't want further reproduction and really don't have many other friends that I'd trust w/ our babies. I'm the one they give animals to - for a reason!

Is there something I ought to read on juveniles? Is if food, shelter, fighting that makes them a pain?

Thanks for any info,
Dana

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with juveniles is that they morph really tiny. Also is common for some of the morphing juveniles to die for no aparent reason. Their minute size makes them very delicate, and makes feeding them quite a challenge.
I don´t want to scare you, just want to alert you so that you know what you will be dealing with. With enough patience, small foods and luck, it can be done (i have a few times. In fact i have juveniles right now).

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Thank you, Azhael. I have heard of this sudden death during morphogenesis. I felt like they would not morph for several months - is that correct? I believe I read they morph around 3-4 months??? Because of the risks here, I am trying to raise the ones we have as I know it is likely many will not make it. That will make me and the boys really sad, but we are preparing ourselves for this, hoping a few make it.

I guess I thought they'd be larger when they morph as they are growing at a decent rate now. I suppose they will still be quite tiny when the gills shrink and legs fully develop.

Again, I thank you - this wasn't my plan w/ these newts, but I'm dedicated to giving them the best care I can.

Dana

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And i´m very glad you´re raising them :) Not only is it fascinating and a great experience for your kids (although it wasn´t expected), but it´s also good for the species, the more captive breeding the better hehe.

They can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to morph, depending on temperature, food, etc. You can expect them to morph in 3-4 months at a size of about 3-3,5cm. If they are particularly well fed they might morph bigger(the biggest i´ve had was 4cm long), but even so they will still be tiny. As i said, larvae are not that difficult...you can pretty much expect most of them to make it. The juveniles though, you should be prepared for some casualties....i know it´s sad, but it´s the way it works. Imagine how much worse it is in the nature, where perhaps only 1 or 2 of the couple hundreds of offspring will make it to adulthood.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1