First-time owner with new setup awaiting Axie larvae

rfm2113

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ramon
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to both the site and axolotls in general, but I've gone and gotten myself addicted. So after a good bit of research and work, I have decided to add three larvae to the family. I'll be getting a wild type, a leucistic, and a golden albino -- I promise to post some pics on Friday when they get home. In the meantime, I wanted to post my current setup for them and see if there's anything I should fix. As far as I understand, they'll be approximately 3 weeks old, no hind legs yet. I have a 10 gallon tank for them (as larvae), with a much larger 30 gallon aquarium for when they get older. The 10g tank is currently cycling, with water temp. at around 15* C, pH of 7.2, 0 ammonia, 0.1 nitrite, ~10 nitrate. The water is on the soft side, so I'm on the lookout for some salts to harden it. I'm running an AquaClear Mini with Ammo-Carb and a biofoam filter. Substrate is Estes Spectra Stones, and there's a small air stone in the corner. I'll be getting a few pieces of PVC pipe or something to add some more hiding spots for them before they arrive. The 30g aquarium has a Marineland Penguin 150 biowheel filter, blue fluorescent lighting, and the same substrate. It will be a while yet before the little ones are grown enough to use that one though, so I haven't set it up yet. I'm currently planning on a diet of live blackworms and frozen baby brine shrimp cubes, with 3mm salmon pellets once they're big enough, but I'm certainly open to suggestions. My apartment doesn't really have anywhere safe where I could make a hatchery for live brine shrimp or daphnia, having a 2-year old can be nightmarish. Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be appreciated!

~Ramon

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCI0019.JPG
    DSCI0019.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCI0020.JPG
    DSCI0020.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCI0022.JPG
    DSCI0022.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 373
  • DSCI0023.JPG
    DSCI0023.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 366
without some thing to compare it to the gravel looks dangerous. - not as larvae but when they grow up.

And they'll want more hides. but thats all I can think of.

Good job.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back