Illness/Sickness: fire salamander w/sores

salrushdee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please help,I just received 3 fire salamanders from a online reptile dealer,1 has red colored sores on his/her skin 1 sore looks like cartilage.Could this happen overnight, or was this an existing problem? Should I remove from others?This dealer was notified immediatly,I was told to treat for 6 days with Neosporin for 6 days. Please help a.s.a.p.:(

You should never mix new sals with existing ones, so separate them asap.

Also can you post a pic or 2 of the sores on the sals, hope they get on the road to recovery, make sure you keep them nice and clean especially during treatment.

Ben

Hi Ben,and thanks for your concern,unfortionatly 1 of the 3 Fire Salamanders lived only few hours after arrival. These sallys were shipped together not added to an existing habitat with sallys.This is very disturbing,how could this have happened unless already sick.I will not name the dealer unless he will not make good of this situation in a timely manner. Thanks Again :(

how could this have happened unless already sick.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

It's an unfortunate situation, and I hope they recover. And if you do wish to purchase more salamanders in the future, I would encourage you to look at breeders, rather than wholesale distributors.

Welcome to the troubling world of wild-caught amphibians. The other treatment generally recommended for skin ulcers is silvadene cream, but it's a prescription med.

I treated both of my tiger salamanders for chytrid right when i got them. Perhaps you can try that with the other two? Its not forsure if that is even the problem your having right now but it can't hurt. Here is a quote from steve busch:

"The treatment he is using is Lamisil AT spray pump. It costs about $10 at stores that carry foot fungus treatment medicines and is not over the counter product. It is the liquid version. Mix 10 squirts (about 1 ML) in 200 ml (3/4 cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons) of water that is safe for frogs i.e. no chlorine. Soak for 5 minutes for 10 days. Keep on paper towels changed after each treatment. Your habitat soil needs to be changed and destroyed as the fungus lives in the damp soil."

Check out this page about a WTF where i got that quote.
http://talkto.thefrog.org/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&topic=14799

Yes the lamisil works a treat, i keep some on hand and as Jen says silvadene cream is good too.

Hope you get a satifactory result, and that the other survive.
Its unfortunate, but it happens, just remember its not your fault.

Ben

I just wanted to say that those salamanders are ilegally collected in europe(depending on the exact subespecies, i might be wrong), and imported all the way down to the states...you really can´t expect them to arrive healthy.....

I´m with Kaysie....next time try to buy them from a breeder, you won´t regret it..plus you won´t be promoting the ilegal collection of our precious animals...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back