Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Fire Belly newt seems Bloated!

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
I noticed this about 3 days ago. Im not sure if its because its getting overwieght or because of something else. It has stopped getting bigger but i still fear for the lil guy.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Attachments

• DSC02141.JPG
    DSC02141.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • DSC02134.JPG
    DSC02134.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 2,768
  • DSC02132.JPG
    DSC02132.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 715

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Looks like you have a healthy little dude there. How long have you had him or her?

There is a place on here that you can help yourself determine what kind of firebelly it is, and if it is male or female. You might have gotten one pregnant from the store/breeder if you have only one, or it may just be eating well. Whatever you are doing, keep it up. Just make sure there is no small gravel that can be swallowed.

If you are really worried about bloat, put your newt in some dechlorinated water and see if it floats. IF it seems to not be able to get around and can NOT got anywhere but float at the top, you may have bloat. If it is struggling and swimming vigorously and clinging to the sides it probably just does not want to be in the water right now. If the little one has a pear shaped belly with the majority of the belly just ahead of the hind legs...she might be gravid..in other words, with eggs.

I KNOW there are other posts about bloat...there was one about if the chin area is involved in the bloat or not and what that may mean...and the kidneys...I just don't remember. Sorry.

From what I can see, your little guy is fine...just keep an eye on the appetite and don't allow the little one to have 50 crickets in there to gorge themselves on at a time...1 or 2 at a time is fine every couple days. No need to cause it. :) If he stops eating..that's cause for concern too!

Hope this helps!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Seems fat or gravid as Kaysie says. I´d be more worried that it´s out of water. By the look of it´s skin i´m guessing it might be transitioting to terrestrial life, which means the water conditions, temps, in sort, the general housing is not ok. Make sure you are providing an apropriate aquatic area. The only reasons this newts leave water are stress, illnesses, and bad housing...so you want to make sure non of that is going on.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
This has been moved to the newt help section. Please post in the correct section next time.

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
Thanks for your help
Kenny seems fine now
still chubby but hes in the water now :0
I think it had to do with changing his enviornment
He just needed to adjust ;]
Thanks again for all you who helped me

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1