Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Growing red spots

mhans002

Reaction score
So we just purchased our second dog fish, this one being albino? Well we got it home and let it get used to the tank. Dropped it in after 45 minutes. Noticed a small (really tiny) red spot on its side, this morning it now has HUGE red bubbles covering both sides! What is going on?? and can we save it? I already quarantined the little critter hoping that helps, but it's not eating. We live in Germany.

Attachments

• DSC02476.jpg
    DSC02476.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 7,813
  • DSC02477.jpg
    DSC02477.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,882

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mhans002,

That definitely looks acute. My differential diagnoses are bacterial scepticaemia (such as "red leg"), blood blisters (haematoma), clotting/platelet disorders, localised herniation, physical trauma, genetic based developmental defects, haemoperitoneum (blood accumulation in the abdominal cavity) or even a combination. One common thing they share, they all rather critical and i would consider an emergency.

I am glad you quarantined and isolated this axie to prevent transmission of anything contagious. I would recommend you try to contact a herp vet in your area as soon as possible for a diagnostic work up and treatment.

Meanwhile, i would recommend fridging. Fridging your axie will destress it, boost its immune system and render harmful pathogens (both bacterial and fungal) less viable.

- Set your fridge to about 5 degree celsius.
- Put your axie in a container large enough to allow it to stretch its limbs and tail comfortably.
- Fill with fresh dechlorinated water enough to submerge it but not allowing it to float.
- Cover with a lid. You can use a perforated lid or netting to prevent it jumping out.
- Use a tea towel to cover it to keep the environment dark.
- Perform 100% water changes daily with clean dechlorinated water.
- Check water parameters - ammonia, nitrites, nitrates
- You can pre prepare bottles of water in the fridge.
- Continue to offer a variety of nutritious food daily. Try live wriggly food like blackworms, bloodworms, earthworms. You can also try the usual pellet, offer treats of shrimp and fish etc. Otherwise you can also blend everything in a food processor and then roll the resultant mash into a pea sized ball to try offer your axie. Remove uneaten food within 20 min.

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml
Try to rush your axie to a vet as soon as you can. Avoid delays. Hope everything works out.

Cheers.

mhans002

Reaction score
Poor guy (or girl) didn't have a chance. I got it in the fridge as soon as i started researching. It didn't help. I still have it in there now just to keep it fresh till i can get it back to the pet shop. Hopefully I can replace it or get my money back. I don't know how much they costs in the states but this one cost us about 12 euro which is over $15. He didn't even make it 24 hrs in our home. This is the second one we've lost! The first one was awesome, but my husband without knowing about them (and apparently without proper knowledge from the german guy at the pet store) put a catfish in the tank with him. When I moved my critter, all the blisters popped. it was all a mixture of blood and clear fluid. I just can't believe we couldn't enjoy it!!:(

oregon newt

Reaction score
Before you replace it, try and research the care requirements of axolotls. All the information you need is here: the Axolotl site. Also, I would reccomend getting your axolotl from another place. If one of their animals was in that condition, I would think that the other animals are not very healthy either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1