Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Newt Disease/Parasites/Fungus?

Darioos

Reaction score
I've had my first firebellied newt for about 8 months now, I decided to get a second one about 2 or 3 weeks ago and got a second one which got sick and died after about 4 days. It started with a few white bumps on its body which quickly progressed to skin peeling off of its back and its tail going completely necrotic and falling off all within the course of 2 days. Now my first newt seems to be developing the same symptoms with white pimple like bumps appearing on its back in 3 places and one on the back of his head. so do I try to salt bathe the poor guy or fridge him??

Last edited:

nickjwes

Reaction score
Good question, I believe the tail falling off can actually be caused by the stress from the disease as well as the disease itself but the best help would be a picture if possible. It sounds sort of like Ich which fish can get but I'm not sure if treating it with fish cures would hurt the newt more. If anyone can verify that fish diseases/cures are relevant to aquatic newts that would be helpful. If they are Pimafix/Melafix are two good cures for fish made by API (aquarium pharmaceuticals). I would say shop around on Bigalsonline.com and see if there are any newt specific cures. Best of luck. -Nick

Actually, after reading this I noticed that my fire bellied paddle tail newt has a round white spot near the end of his tail. You can kind of see it in the one picture I just posted in my album "My Animals". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

oregon newt

Reaction score
DO Not USE PIMAFIX/MELAFIX! I believe it is made with tea tree oil which can be harmful to both amphibians and some fish, mostly anabatoids.

nickjwes

Reaction score
That's good to know, thanks. Only reason I brought it up was because I was googling it and someone had recommended using only a very slight dosage because of their sensitive skin, but I wasn't sure. Is there newt remedies similar to the fish ones that would work? And I guess not all the natural remedies could be ok for all aquatic animals? Thanks -Nick

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Fast developing flesh eating infections are very common in pet-shop Cynops orientalis.
What you need to do is keep the newt cool to give his inmune system a chance, and treat the infection with salt baths(if you do a quick search around the forum you´ll find all the info you need about this) or any of it´s variations.

I didn´t understand the tail falling because of stress part Nick...

Darioos, i should also mentioned that ALL new animals should ALWAYS be quarantined, as i´m sure you´ve realized by now....best of lucks with the little fella.

nickjwes

Reaction score
I know that reptiles can drop their tails because of extreme stress or if they feel threatened (even reptiles that aren't regenerative)- This happens to especially reptiles like leopard geckos. I also have have two tail-less crested geckos I adopted that dropped their tails and wont grow them back. I don't know if this is also fully true about salamanders and newts but I figured that stress could have had at least some affect. Also I read elsewhere in this forum that someone had used pimafix in an axolotl tank- can it be done without harming the salamander?

Darioos

Reaction score
The tail didn't just fall off as much as it rotted off. Started with a white fuzzy spot on its tail that degenerated till it was barely hanging on to the bone. I think the stress of the new environment just compromized his immune system to the point where it couldn't fight off the infection at all.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Although some salamanders do have the capability to autotomize their tails, newts like Cynops don´t. The fact that they can regenrate body parts does not mean they can leave their tails behind like a lizard. The tail was consumed by the infection, which can affect any part of the body.

You are right Darioos, it´s inmune system was probably shredded, but it wasn´t the new environment, it was the importation from China, the horrible conditions during the whole process, the more than probable neglection it suffered in the pet-shop..etc...this is the problem with WC animals..by the time they arrive to us their health is terribly undermined.

nickjwes

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks for all the info, and on the disease treatment note, is there any safe treatment to go with the refrigeration method such as a water additive? Also I've been told that for salt baths to truly help cure diseases the animal would have to be brought close to death before the salt would actually kill the disease. Just curious, thanks for everything.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nick, the white spot on the photo of your newt appears to be a normal coloration for a male paddltail. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml
Some of your other questions are answered in the treatment articles on the same site. Many of the antibiotics sold for fish are safe for newts. Salt treatments aren't that harsh; the animal is only put into the salt water for a few minutes twice per day, and it does not appear to stress them very much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!