Maru The Axolotl Close Ups

spiro666

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Spiro!
Hello.

I have had my axolotl for about 4 months now and he is growing...like a fat kid on a steady supply of cupcakes. i thought i should post some pictures because my underwater camera can get some interesting views. Hope you all like.

Attachments

• Axolotl7.jpg
    Axolotl7.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 265
  • Axolotl11.jpg
    Axolotl11.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Axolotl14.jpg
    Axolotl14.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 249
Hi Josh, as I was saying, very handsome axolotl! He looks healthy and well-adjusted. I like your plants a lot, are you suuuure you want to get rid of them?

By the way, underwater camera?! I'm so jealous :D

Very nice setup and the plants look wonderful. I like the underwater shots as well, what kind of camera are you using?

Hi.They really are great close ups,and that's a good looking tank.:cool:

Hi Spiro666,

Lovely tank set up and adorable axie. You can consider taking part in the upcoming calender competition.

Just a small note, are you using pebble/gravel type substrate? It can potentially become a problem with impaction, especially with the smaller looking pebbles. Its best to change to sand or leave it bare bottomed.

Cheers

HAHA hi guys. Josh here

My camera is a Olympus 1030W
waterproof for 33 ft, and shockproof for 6 ft
basically it is Josh proof

The gravel is large but it is so large that he cannot even come close to fitting it into his mouth. So it works in the exact opposite way of sand. I agree though that i want to change over to sand eventually, but i want to get a new tank and overall setup because i intend to breed. Tran (posted earlier on this thread) inspired me with her setup. haha.

thanks again all for noticing. maybe i can get some even better pictures for the calender competition.

Love the setup! Your axie is super cute and looks very healthy. What type of plants are those? Do they require a lot of light to maintain?

Love the setup! Your axie is super cute and looks very healthy. What type of plants are those? Do they require a lot of light to maintain?

The setup is kinda of different because this is the only aquatic animal i own so i am biased towards setting up vivariums.

1. there are about 6 pieces of African Root wood silicone to back of the tank. I set Java moss on top of the pieces and now it growing nice and buffy and taking over the back wall. I also have java moss on these things called "Moss Mines" that are bioballs with fishing line attached to weight. The moss is tied to the bioballs but grows like crazy and floats like a underwater mine. pretty cool.

2. Anubias in the back that you cannot see

3. Ovachious bulb(spelling?) can be found at any fish store.

4. the plant in the corner i just purchased but it is growing like crazy, putting on almost 3 inches a week. i am not sure what it is called but the store had lots of it so it should not be too rare.

the tank is 27 gallons and has 65 watts so roughly 2.4 watts per gallon. the plants grow almost too fast and i am constantly cutting away the ovachious bulb because it is always trying to sprout flowers or the leaves get too big.

hope this helped.

JOSH

The plant pictured in the second thumbnail and in the right hand part of the tank in the third thumbnail looks to be Aponogeton ulvaceous. It's a bulb plant which grows very fast. The one in my CFBN tank is getting HUGE and has tripled it's leaf count in the two months I have owned it.

I have a 30 gallon tank with one flourescent 15 Watt Exo-Terra Tropical light. I have two anubias a bunch of elodea. I think the tank is just slightly under-lit. I purposely did this because my axxies are not fans of bright light. However now that my plants are getting bigger and starting to cover the surface I am thinking about increasing the wattage of bulb.

Anyways great work with your tank. Freakin' amazing! :animal:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back