Is it gravid or chunky?

astronoc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
astronoc
What do you guys think? Should I be worried or curve the diet? If I should be curving the diet more, what else can I do?

I feed them blackworms and some pellets about 3 times a week. So far, I've been taking the big one out one feeding per week because I am concerned about it's weight. She gets fed 2xs a week rather than the normal 3xs.

SUC50293.jpg

SUC50292.jpg

SUC50289.jpg

The smaller one looks like a healthy newt. The big one has bloat - it is too large to simply be fat. I don't think that reducing its food will help. Based on your description, I suspect it is a slowly-progressing case. I had a similar case; look at the last two photos on this page:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml

I'm no expert but it would seem she is gravid. Although generally they should be chunkier towards the rear (slightly pear shaped) I believe. Try your local pet shop for answers, or maybe call a local exotic vet and pick their brain. Sorry I couldn't help more.

My gravid female shows the swelling only towards the bottom half of her body, so I do not think she is swollen from eggs. Consult an exotic vet and good luck.

Dana

I´ve seen females so fat from eggs that they looked a bit like your newt, but i´m with Jen...that animal is way too fat to be healthy...whatever it has it´s bad. It´s most probably bloat.

Unfortunately, that photo practically screams "bloat" to me. The over-all swelling is pretty apparent. Usually gravid newts, even ones huge with eggs, don't get that much swelling in the neck/head area.

So whAt's the best way to treat bloat??

Update: It died. The bloating just kept going and I found her floating. Thanks for the help though!

I'm sorry. Did you treat for bloat? I know nothing of this, so I'm just wondering, hoping I never have to deal with this.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.
Dana

I'm sorry. Did you treat for bloat? I know nothing of this, so I'm just wondering, hoping I never have to deal with this.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.
Dana

No treatment was provided. I just quarantined it and not too long after that she just started getting much bigger.

Oh wow, I'm sorry for your loss. I've never seen bloat that bad in a newt.

Sorry for your loss. I just recently lost one myself. He started out with bloat that eventually went away. Then he got something that was like a flesh-eating thing ("Help: I Can See my Newt's Skull" if you care to read about it). I thought he would make it for a while.

I think from now on I am only going to buy captive bred newts. They are healthier. You can get them here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back