Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Interesting website on Worm Farming

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
Cool link, thanks! I will read it in detail later.

I had a worm bin over the Winter, which provided me with occasional food for my newts and frogs - though I didn't draw on it too heavily, keeping it in reserve as "emergency rations." Now I'm slowly adding that soil to my starter veggie pots.

You may want to stay away from redworms, which aren't eaten by a lot of animals. They're the classic composting worm, but not as useful for feeders. For my worm bin, I just added regular earthworms that I found in my yard.

Starcraft

Reaction score
I bought a pound of red wrigglers and european nighcrawlers (I believe their name is ensenia hortensis) and now have them coming out of my ears. I don't really feed the wrigglers to my animals, just the ensenia, with no ill effects. I'm going to do some research and see if it truly isn't a good idea to use red wrigglers, since they breed faster. Maybe if I just use them whole, I heard some animals won't eat them if they've been cut up due to the smell.

p.s. I raise them in cheap rubbermaid containers from wal-mart, the big ones. Just drill a bunch of holes on the bottom and side near the top and place on some bricks with a tray to catch any drippings. A lot cheap[ers than one of those worm composters you buy online, but if you don't mind spending the $70 on them or whatever they are more convenient.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I'm going to do some research and see if it truly isn't a good idea to use red wrigglers, since they breed faster. Maybe if I just use them whole, I heard some animals won't eat them if they've been cut up due to the smell.

I think this all depends on the species. I feed red wigglers to a couple of species which seem to love them but there are some species that just won't even go near them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1