Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

kaiseri larvae problem season II

markusA

Reaction score
I would like to know if any of you breeders did notice a strange dying of kaiseri larvae in the first days after hatching.
The problem I desrcibed in detail here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53674

This year my kaiseri girls laid a lot of eggs but the survival quota for larvae is as bad as last year, around 30% are not affected and survive the critical first 2 weeks.
After that they grow and feed without problems.

An addition to my observation last year:
1. adding a medicine (EsHa 2000, methyl orange) 50% of larvae survive
2. adding nothing, just changing with clean water all 2 days: 10-20% survive
3. putting the eggs before hatching into a well planted small aquarium with a lot of tiny food and microbes: 50-75% survive

Does it happen only in N. kaiseri or in other Neurergus species as well?
Did anybody observe this phenomenon with his/her N. kaiseri?

Markus

craig

Reaction score
Hi Markus,

I could be wrong but I think I've heard somewhere that the eggs and larvae benefit from having fairly strong aeration and water circulation.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen this problem with several species (particularly Notophthalmus). I would say that most species have the best possibility of survival if the eggs or hatchlings are put into a cycled tank with plenty of plants. Some can tolerate a bare "clean" container, some cannot.

I have raised one batch of kaiseri eggs. Shortly after they hatched, I put them into a large cycled (well-established) container. I cannot remember if it had plants or not. 100% survived.

What kind of container are you using? What kind of cleaning or filtration?

markusA

Reaction score
I use platic boxes (ice cream box, Ikea boxes ...) to get the eggs hatched and for larvae.
I think it is not a problem with the boxes as I reared several other species in such boxes as well.
I do not aerate the water but change it all 2 days (except that of my "control group").
Larvae hatch and develop in the parental tank without health problems. This water is filtered and moving like a slow stream.

I observed yesterday in my "control group" that a lot of big well feeding larvae (21mm, 4 weeks old) were floating at the water surface with gas bubbles in their bellys. This group I never treated with medicine and until yesterday they did well. I decided to add the eSHa 2000 to the water and today in the morning I found all of them sitting on the ground or in plants and did not see any bubbles in their bellys!
So I guess it must be some kind of bacteria causing this.

salvoz

Reaction score
I'm experiencing virtually 100% survival of my kaiseri eggs, including both those that were left in the parent tank and those that were removed and placed into a tank with shallow water, lots of java moss and gentle aeration. Good luck to you!

Sal

chamena

Reaction score
Hi!
I breed Neurergus kaiseri this year too. I use a pump and change the water 1/3 every two weeks. Before I put the larves into the glas-aquarium I let the pump work for three weeks. I cover the suction nozzle with a sock. It is important to use the water from the adult neurergus. Doing this, every larve grows up in my breed.
Jürgen

markusA

Reaction score
I found several larvae in the tank of the parents and never dead larvae.
I fear the polluted water is not ok for the larvae if I take it to raise all of them in it.
I do not use filtration but change water every 4 days during breeding season.
But I will try next season with "old parental water".
news of my 09 breeding:
All survivors of the critical first 4-6 weeks are ok and grow.
I lost 75% of larvae. I never observed the phenomenon with my T. karelini or Salamandra.

salvoz

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are losing this many larvae. How many larvae are you rearing in what volume of water?

markusA

Reaction score
0-4 weeks old larvae I raise in small plastic cups 5x10cm, appr. 0,3 liter of water, 10 animals in each
5-10 weeks in plastic boxes 20x30cm or glas aquariums 20cm in diameter, appr. 2 liter, 10 pcs.
older ones in big plastic boxes, 40x60cm, 10 liter, 25 pcs. until metamorphosis

I exchange the water every second day and use tap water, in my area tap water has very low chlorine level

craig

Reaction score
Markus,

My baby kaiseri are almost three inches long now and are eating really well and doing great. I have them all in a ten gallon tank without substrate or plants and only a sponge filter. I used aged, dechlorinated water and change about a third or a quarter of the water every week. More than this seems to shock the babies somewhat. I have had 100% success rate so far. Every egg hatched and every baby is growing well. I hope this information helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!