Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

brine shrimp

cherryscented

Reaction score
I have been reading "Newts and Salamanders" by Frank Indiviglio. Its says that "brine shrimp need to be rinsed to remove salt traces", can anyone suggest how I'm ment to do this? they're so small, I tried using a pair of tights. However i found this very tedious as half of them went through the holes anyway. Its just new born axies seem so small to eat daphnia, which is about the same size as them! :confused: xx

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They make brine shrimp nets. Just buy a brine shrimp net. I think brineshrim.com has them.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I find that most commercial brine shrimp nets allow newly hatched napuli to pass through in a pretty high amount, but they are excellent for napuli 48 hours and older. I use the coffee filters as I am lazy and can throw them into the compost box rather than washing and sanitizing a net.:D

philbaker76

Reaction score
Its just new born axies seem so small to eat daphnia, which is about the same size as them! :confused: xx

If find our native daphnia is a lot smaller and hardier than the stuff you can buy.

I find that most commercial brine shrimp nets allow newly hatched napuli to pass through in a pretty high amount, but they are excellent for napuli 48 hours and older. I use the coffee filters as I am lazy and can throw them into the compost box rather than washing and sanitizing a net.:D

Great tip; thanks for sharing!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!