gill loss

UltimateNewbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The gills on the leucistic (black eyes) looks to be a gill infection. The gold albino is a more serious case of gill infection and/or fungus, it's hard to tell by the pictures.

I would isolate each axolotl and fridge them. Fungal infections are contagious, so please do not keep the axolotls together in the same container.

Assistance on the procedure for fridging can be found here.

Those gill infections will need to be treated by use of salt or tea baths.

Salt bath procedure:

-Prepare a tub of fresh dechlorinated water, put enough water to cover the axolotl's back
-Dissolve 2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre of water (sea salt, kosher salt or aquarium salt are suitable. DO NOT use table salt.)
-Once salt is dissolved place axolotl in bath
-Leave axolotl in the salt bath for ten minutes, but no longer than 15 minutes or the salt will start to damage the axolotl's skin and gills.

The axolotl/s will need to be salt bathed two to three times a day. Prepare a fresh bath each time.

*If the axolotl is being fridged, use the fridged dechlorinated water for the salt baths so the temperature is kept consistant and the axolotl is not subjected to temperature shocks.

The procedure for teabaths:

Tea bath for axolotls. Daniel Weiner, August 2007.
"I mainly use teabaths for minor skin problems. It may also be used with fungal problems but on that account I prefer salt baths. Tea has a slightly antifungal and antibacterial effect (resulting from tannins) and additionally it closes the pores in the skin a little bit (mainly resulting from tannin and caffeine). The skin tightens and gets some kind of protective layer, making it harder for fungi and bacteria to intrude the body. On the other hand it makes it harder for salt or medicine to reach pathogens which are already inside the body - that is the reason I do not use it on fungal infections, although a tea bath is sometimes recommended as a cure for fungal infections by some people.

The medication is as follows: I take one bag of black tea without any additional aroma (it is important to use black tea because this kind of tea is fermented and so it has tannins) for every 10 litres of water (preferably used in a quarantine tank). This tea gets dashed with boiling water in a seperate bowl - I leave it there for at least 10 to 15 minutes so the tannins are resolved into the water. The tea has to cool down and is finally added to the quarantine water. After a week I make a bigger change of water (60% at least), the rest of the tea is removed over time by normal water changes. If you have to make more regular water changes (f.i. in a small bowl or tank) the tea concentration can be refilled. As far as I know there are no negative effects even for long term treatment."

While the axolotls are enjoying their holidays in the fridge, could you please advise on your water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and water temperature in the tank?

Ammonia and Nitrite should both read as '0', if the reading is higher than '0' in either of these then this a point of concern and will likely be contributing to the gill infections/fungus.

Axolotl's are cold water creatures. Their optimal water temperatures are 14-18 degrees celcius, they will tolerate temperature up to 23 degrees celcius, but only if the water quality is perfect. Temperatures over 24 degrees celcius cause stress, which leads to illness and likely death. Warmer temperatures excasserbate fungal infections and also increase the toxidity of Ammonia.

there is my problem. i got a new thermometer and turned out it had been reading inaccurately. it is now set to 20 degrees celcius and the water quality is perfect.

stress related infections/diseases :(

will start fridging and salting tomorrow once i have some sea salt.

thanks for the advice!

there
stress related infections/diseases :(

will start fridging and salting tomorrow once i have some sea salt.

thanks for the advice!

I would move the axolotls into the fridge straight away. The axolotl will thrive in the colder temperature whereas the fungus will be inhibited, this allows the axolotl the chance to get on top of the situation and fight off the infection.

Keep bottles of dechlorinated water in the fridge, as these will be used for the daily water changes and for the salt baths (when you start them).

Fridging in conjuction with saltbaths is very effective in dealing with fungal infections. If the axolotls remain in the tank, the fungus will thrive in these warmer conditions and get worse.

Last edited:
I agree with Jacq

First step fridging, it will help in the short term, then salt baths

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back