Planted tank and axies

Celeste

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi guys!!

I am setting up my tank, it is cycled with no axies yet. I was planning in planting my tank, and some guy, who seems to know what he is doing, told me I have to use fertilizers containing potassium and sulfur. He recomended fluorish potassium, 5ml every 1 or 2 weeks (my tank is 130 liters). I havent done it yet ( not the fertilizers or buying plants). Told him about Holftereter´s solution and told me it wasnt enough and that fertilizers should not mean any harm to the axies in that concentration. Is this correct?

Also he told me not to use carbon or zeolite in the filter, as this absorbe electrolites:confused:

Another thing he told me is that the sand must be at least 8 cms deep so the plants can stay firmly in there... I asked him about gas pockets and anaerobian bacteria and he told me it was fine, that plant´s roots will inyecto oxigen in the substrate preventing this.

I havent done anything to the tank in order to be sure if all of this is correct. Any advice would be great!!!

Thanks

P.S. I hope I finish it soon and post some pictures!

Hi Celeste,

I would say the advice given to you by that person has both right and wrong points. In theory, some of his recommendations are ideal for maintaining aquatic plants but where he errs is that he did not place the theory under the right context of an axie tank.

In an axie tank, the main focus are the axies. The plants really are secondary. If i am interested in a pure aquatic plant tank (dutch aquarium) or a fish based tank, sure, i would go ahead with some of his suggestions. However, since we are talking about plants in an axie tank, i would say his advice is not appropriate.

Air pockets - Since axie tanks use fine sand, the sand substrate will trap gas pockets due to anaerobic metabolic waste products regardless of what plants you have in there. Unlike in a fish aquarium where gravel is permitted, the gravel has more space between each gravel to allow gases to flow through easily and less likely to accumulate gases. Gravel can also hold on and support rooted plants better compared to sand. Therefore for an axie tank, i tend to recommend plants already mounted on driftwood or huge rocks.

Carbon and zeolite - The purpose of carbon and zeolite is for chemical filtration. A good tank system should place higher priority for good filtration over plant growth, in particular with axies with high rate high waste output. Their main function is to absorb ammonia, detoxify the tank and rid of organic debris. Some ions may be chelated that is true but not electrolytes per se. Electrolytes are derived from the animals diet and measured by a blood test. Axolotls and any species of animals really, do not derive their electrolytes from just being exposed to external air or water. Atheletes replenish their supply by energy drinks, patients might get them from an intravenous drip.

Plant fertilisers - I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that added amounts of potassium and sulphur, would impact on tank parameters and axie health. I think you are subconciously aware of this and cautious hence you held back. Unless you are planting an amazon rainforest in the tank, or intending to plant very nutrient specific and hence delicate plant species, i don't see why this would even be a necessary step. It just adds more complication and hassle. I highly urge you against using these.

In summary.

1 - Always place your axie's health and tank parameters as prority.
2 - Choose the correct type of plant species for your tank - Anubias, Java fern, Java moss, Elodea, some amazon swords etc. They thrive in low light, low temperature conditions and are not fastidious with nutritional requirements.
3 - Steer clear of overplanting your tank, especially with delicate easily broken off or rooted up type plants. Axies root about and bump into everything. You won't want to replant the plants everytime they get uprooted.
4 - Just as an added tip - Avoid plant cuttings of any sorts, avoid semi aquatics but falsely sold as submerged aquatics. Avoid plants with thin stems and delicate small leaves, especially if they are not dark green (reddish brown, yellow, purple). These plants tend to have high light and nutrient requirements. In axie tanks they quickly rot and die.

Cheers.

Hi Johnny... sorry, Im not an english native speaker... my tank is cycled already in the conventional way... about the other things, I am planning in the future, no potassium or sulphur for cycling! Thanks for the link!!!

Ray, thanks a lot, you are right I was suspecting about that, didnt seem right , thanks again for your support. Great tip about the plant species!!!

Thanks again!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back