Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Herping in S. Mississippi

Lamb

Reaction score
My herpetology class went out herping (all 16 of us) and we managed to grab a few things, although I'm sure we alerted many of the critters ahead of us of our presence, and only caught those that thought they were well enough hidden.

Our first stop was a pitcher plant bog. It was beautiful, with yellow pitcher plants in bloom and many many crayfish holes. Unfortunately, all that we turned up were a crayfish and a cricket frog. We had expected to see black racers or coachwhips. There weren't very many hides, nor was there a great deal of canopy cover.

The next stop surpassed the first by far. We spent about 45 minutes hiking to this creek...

On the way there, we found Storeria occipitomaculata (red belly snake), but I don't have a picture of it. We also found Scincella lateralis (common ground skink). The ground skink was trumped by this Sistrurus miliarius (pygmy rattlesnake).

After the rattlesnake, we found bunches of cricket frogs. They are impossibly abundant wherever you go in our area. What was interesting was the variety of colors that we found them in...

This shade is what you would typically expect, the diagnostic character of the triangle between the eyes is easily seen. However, I also found an all black cricket frog, something I've never seen before. I could find no trace of a triangle between the eyes.

We also stumbled across a Pseudacris crucifer that did not have a clean "X" marking on its back. The toe disc size, yellow tint on the hidden part of the leg, and lack of other species specific patterns helped us determine that it was indeed a spring peeper.

Someone then yelled "SNAKE!" and we all went rushing to catch it, as few in the class, apart from myself, the grad students, and the professor, will grab a snake. It was a Coluber constrictor priapus (southern black racer). It was not a fan of my camera and struck at it once, but didn't bite anyone.

Then, while rolling logs a little closer to the creek, I saw an orange thing the size of a worm beneath a rotting log and I thought "well, if it's a worm it wont hurt me." So I grabbed for it and exclaimed "$#*% yeah!" when I realized what it was. A Storeria occipitomaculata (brown snake). Previously, it seemed everyone else found these little snakes, or similar small snakes, and now, finally, I can say that I have.

After admiring the creek, we hiked our way to a pond that was 20 minutes away.

Here, we heard Acris gryllus gryllus, Pseudacris crucifer, Rana clamitans clamitans, & Rana sphenocephala. To our surprise, we heard a spring peeper calling from within 1 meter of where we were sitting. We looked closely, and found this guy, who graciously kept calling while we took his picture (this was at night, but we had a flashlight on him).

Nothing, not even the occasional flash from a camera or student creeping forward would deter him from luring in a female. I think we cramped his style.

From that pond, we traveled to 2 more. The last pond was an important one. It was a pond where Pseudacris ornata (ornate chorus frog) had been heard in 2004. P. ornata is a rare species in our area, so hearing it call would have been a dream. Sadly, we didn't, but we did hear multiple other species, including Hyla gratiosa, Hyla chrysoscelis/versicolor, Bufo terrestris, Rana catesbieana, Rana sphenocephala, Pseudacris nigrita nigrita, Pseudacris crucifer, and Acris gryllus gryllus.

All in all, it was the best herping trip we've had thus far. Now, if we can only find some Nerodias...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Great post!

Good luck with Nerodia. Don't try noodling for them, they're pretty vicious. Bitey and stinky. Not my favorite snake to catch.

Also, Storeria occipitomaculata is the red-bellied snake, where Storeria dekayi is the brown snake. It's definitely not a brown snake. If it is indeed a red-bellied snake, it's oddly colored.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I had a stinky encounter with a Nerodia sipedon years ago while live trapping some nuisance muskrats... They are beautiful snakes.

Thanks for the excellent pictures! It looks like it was a successful outing.

Lamb

Reaction score
I mislabeled the brown snake (it is really a brown snake though).

The only Nerodia we've caught on a class trip has been Nerodia sipedon pleuralis (Midland water snake), but it was a juvenile, no more than 18 cm. I know they can be ornery creatures, but I'd still like to see on in action. I'm the type that wants the smelly experience ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1