Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Freezer capacity?

grius

Reaction score
Hi.

Is there anyone here who is technical competent when it comes to freezer constructions among others? I have aidea with my freezer systeme. I have two species, T.marmoratus and one A.mavortium (unknown ssp) so i have to build two tanks before the warm summer.

So my qustion is if this may work, i will use only one freezer fore a large tank with partition to seperate the two.

Method 1)

There will be two pipes from the fridge to each tank to get the right circulation. The one at the bottom is were the warmer air is going to escape and the pipe at the back is for the new coold air, and so at both sides. The only thing i want to know is if a freezer have tha capacity fore this? two computer fans will control the air circulation.
mavor.jpg

mavor1.jpg

mavor4.jpg

I will also try to find a more technical forum and post a thread.

Regards/Tomas

grius

Reaction score
Thanks, but that is not much for help thou. I know that the method with a frezeer works, but not for two enclosures?

Regards.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The only issue I see with your design as posted previously, is the warm air outlets in the actual tanks. Cold air will sink, warm air will rise. While the pictured set up will circulate air, it will do so more efficiently if the warm air outlet is higher up than the cool air inlet and has the computer fan blowing into it.. One other issue is the free flow of air for the condenser coils (back of the freezer). It is best to have these open to the air. I mention this only as the drawings do not show a back view.

As for system cooling capacity, what are the manufacturer specifications of the freezer motor and compressor? You can find these in the owner's manual or off of the labels on the motor and compressor. (HP, Amperes, kW...and so on...) With that information and the interior dimensions of the tanks, I can calculate air flow, turbulence, efficiency, condensation point and a number of other useful details for you.

If you like, pm me the freezer specifications and I may be able to find the details online.

grius

Reaction score
Hello again.

You are absolutly right about the warm and coold air, but it may be to cold for the newts if they climb abowe the pipe(net) so i dont really know how to solve that problem, maybe you have some idea?

"One other issue is the free flow of air for the condenser coils (back of the freezer). It is best to have these open to the air."

Im not following you here, can you please explain in more detail what you mean? I post a picture at the backside of the cage so you can se how the pipes is placed.
mavor2.jpg

I will ge the information about the fridge and send you a pm.

Thanks for the help.
Regards.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Now that I have seen the back of the enclosure, you will also need to add some ventilation for the freezer unit itself. While many freezers and fridges are enclosed, many have a large car radiator looking grid mounted on the back. Either way, it is necessary for the freezer unit to have free air flow for proper and safe operation. Looking at the beautiful cabinet you have planed, I would place a large vent on the back of the case at minimum 30cm X 30cm (though larger is better in this case). It would also be advisable to have a smaller vent somewhere on the front if you can hide it near the floor on your case, but this is optional.

Since you have a forced air flow with the computer fans, I do not think you will have too many issues of things getting too cold. Once you have construction completed a bit of experimentation with multiple thermometers will show you and warm or cold spots. Why I mention this is that in an enclosed space, you could get a thermocline effect, that is, the warm air will float on the cold air and not circulate properly even with fans. By moving the warm air outlet near the top, as the cold air fills in it will force the warm air back to your cooling unit for certain.

I look forward to helping with your capacity calculations, I do that sort of thing frequently in my job.

grius

Reaction score
Great with this expertis!

When you say ventilation for the freezer do you then mean that i shall saw a hole in in the fridge? if it is not to much of a probleme i would be greatfull if you could draw a simple sketch so i can see.

"I would place a large vent on the back of the case at minimum 30cm X 30cm (though larger is better in this case)"

And then a hole on the cabinet at the bakside and mayby one in the front?

"Since you have a forced air flow with the computer fans, I do not think you will have too many issues of things getting too cold. Once you have construction completed a bit of experimentation with multiple thermometers will show you and warm or cold spots"

Do you think that i will have probleme whit this construction? i have rebuild a fridge once, that worked perfect and i got it as cold as i wanted. But maybe i get you wrong here? But that my newts wont get hurt if they lay at the net on topp of the pipe for cold air?

"Why I mention this is that in an enclosed space, you could get a thermocline effect, that is, the warm air will float on the cold air and not circulate properly even with fans. By moving the warm air outlet near the top, as the cold air fills in it will force the warm air back to your cooling unit for certain."

Yes, i place the cold flow at the bottom and the one for warm air near the top. It makes sence.

Sorry for reapeting all, but i want to be certain that i understand so nothing get wrong.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
No need for apology! I enjoy this sort of thing quite a lot.

You do not need to cut the freezer, but the cabinet. Like this:
3411874913_f967eac0c6.jpg

(forgive my crude picture)

You can add a vent to the front also, but I think it would ruin what is all ready an outstanding looking design.

As for the newts getting hurt by laying near the cold air vent, I do not think this will be an issue, they will move away from it if they are uncomfortable.

grius

Reaction score
Good, i agree its a funn subject.

So the freezer shall be closed and no need for fridge door to be open or so? now i am relived.

Hehe not bad, for not using a sketch programe. I can saw i bigger hole then, say 40x40x40 or 50x50x50cm?

"As for the newts getting hurt by laying near the cold air vent, I do not think this will be an issue, they will move away from it if they are uncomfortable."

Really thanks fore the help, now all of my problemes is solved.

I send a pm.
Regards.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Yes, 40x40 or 50x50 works great!

I'll post your capacity data in a few hours while I use the math to show my children they really do need to use algebra in the real world.:lol:

grius

Reaction score
Yes, 40x40 or 50x50 works great!

I'll post your capacity data in a few hours while I use the math to show my children they really do need to use algebra in the real world.:lol:

Perfect!

No hurry, educate the kids they will need it, i can onestly almost say that i dont remember anything like this from the school years ;)

Gregh

Reaction score
coudln't you just put a large foam pad on top of the pipe so that it's a chilled pad rather than air venting out? Or would it then not be effective enough?

grius

Reaction score
coudln't you just put a large foam pad on top of the pipe so that it's a chilled pad rather than air venting out? Or would it then not be effective enough?

Hi Gregh.

I dont think that would be so effective, and as SludgeMonkey says this wont be a probleme, and i dont think that to.

I shall post this build in my allready open thread(T.marmoratus vivarium construction) it is perfect for me that dont have the access to a cold basement, now i can house two different species and just use one freezer:blob:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Looks like the freezer you picked out will be perfect for your design. If I calculated right, with two standard 40 CFM (cubic feet per minute) computer fans operating in this volume enclosure, you will see an approximate flow of about +/-22 CFH (cubic feet per hour) system wide based off the output rating and temperature range of that model. Forgive me, I am not sure what measurements to use in metric for air flow.:eek:

This means you can easily maintain a temperature of 7-13.8C easily at an ambient air temperature of 30C.

I would definately test the sytem out for a few days to determine thermal stability before adding live caudates. You may find the addition of a third fan may be needed to keep air circulating to prevent fungi from growing.

Keep us posted on this project! I am looking forward to seeing the finished product! It is such a beautiful design.

grius

Reaction score
Looks like the freezer you picked out will be perfect for your design. If I calculated right, with two standard 40 CFM (cubic feet per minute) computer fans operating in this volume enclosure, you will see an approximate flow of about +/-22 CFH (cubic feet per hour) system wide based off the output rating and temperature range of that model. Forgive me, I am not sure what measurements to use in metric for air flow.:eek:

This means you can easily maintain a temperature of 7-13.8C easily at an ambient air temperature of 30C.

I would definately test the sytem out for a few days to determine thermal stability before adding live caudates. You may find the addition of a third fan may be needed to keep air circulating to prevent fungi from growing.

Keep us posted on this project! I am looking forward to seeing the finished product! It is such a beautiful design.

This sounds great SludgeMonkey! for now i will use a larger freezer as i have told you, and the smaller will be totaly perfekt for the hight at the cage!:D No need for embarressement, you have helpt me so much and i am so greatful..that sounded wrong in some way hehe.

The temperature sounds as i want it, no probleme to get 16-18degrees then.

I called the build department store today for price information and got a good price, and i get all the wood saw for a good price to. So i hope to start this weekend and this time finish my construction.

regards.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1