Canister Filters

spiro666

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Spiro!
Hey Caudata,

I searched the forum as best i could but i could not find a definitive answer to my question:

What is the best kind of Canister filter for a 40 gallon aquarium with axolotls in it?

i know that people highly recommend eheim filters but there are all different types...such as
Pro, Pro II, Pro III, Pro IIIe, Ecco blah blah blah.

any advice would be awesome. thanks guys.

josh

To be honest with you, I personally find that canister type filtration provides entirely too much water flow for axolotls when the "proper" size for the tank is used. As for which is best, it really is a matter of opinion. I generally rate filtration by the following criteria:

1. Ease of maintenance- how much of a pain is it to replace/ purchase filter media for?
2. Noise- some filters can be obnoxious
3. Flow rate- measured in gallons or liters per hour, a lot of canister filters rated for a 40 gallon tank are around 110 GPH, meaning a complete cycle of water nearly 3 times per hour.
4. Price- I am a cheapskate and would rather do more frequent water changes than spend a ton on filtration. Both the unit and the cost of replacement media
5. Availability- can I get the media easily, or does it require a special trip to that specialty exotics shop across town?

Back when I had a 40 gallon axolotl colony going on I used a FLUVAL 105 which is rated at a slower 85 gph and is rated for a 25 gallon tank. I did not care for the cost of the filter media, so I switched to TopFin Power Filters. I use the TopFin 20 or the 40 in all of my tanks 29 gallons and (I have six 29 gallon and two 40 gallon) up. By keeping the tank at the proper water level and centering the unit on the tank, I get excelent filtration and quiet operation. That and the media is cheap, available everywhere.

I have an EHEIM classic and I researched classic types quite a lot and people seem to speak very highly of the classics.

I have an EHEIM classic 2211 in a 2ft tank (can be used in up to 4ft) and using the spray bar there is relatively no current.

I can personally vouch for the 2211, filters 350LPH and only cost me 72 bucks with all media. Good value

Hi Josh,

I use Eheim Pro and Pro II and love 'em. I have added extra spray bars by connecting them with short pieces of tubing - they make a nice waterfall along the back of the tank at a slow trickle. I have a square of foam over the intake pipe, too, to avoid sucking up anything living. Works great for me and mine.

-Eva

Back when I had a 40 gallon axolotl colony going on I used a FLUVAL 105 which is rated at a slower 85 gph and is rated for a 25 gallon tank. I did not care for the cost of the filter media, so I switched to TopFin Power Filters. I use the TopFin 20 or the 40 in all of my tanks 29 gallons and (I have six 29 gallon and two 40 gallon) up. By keeping the tank at the proper water level and centering the unit on the tank, I get excelent filtration and quiet operation. That and the media is cheap, available everywhere.
I agree with the suggestion of the Fluval 105 (I actually have the 104), as it has a lower flow rate than some of the other canisters. And it's good to downsize the filter to one that would be "recommended" for a somewhat smaller tank. However, I love the Fluval 104 precisely because the filter media is so cheap; I do not use the "recommended" materials in the filter boxes. I use ordinary filter carbon (in a re-usable bag) and bulk filter floss. I don't use the media that Fluval sells for the Fluval canisters, except for the filter pads and ceramic media, which are fully reusable and last for years.

I also agree that the hang-on power filter may be a better alternative. You are locked into buying the manufacturer's recommended filter pads, but they aren't terribly expensive, and the filter pad is much easier to change than the media in a canister filter.

i use a JBL 120, and its quiet, can hear it even with everything turned off in my room

have a read of reviews and forums, and see what you find appropriate

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back