What species is that in the top right of the Caudata.org header?

Robroy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what type he/she is? I'm a bit new here and don't know my caudata very well yet. I have just recently gotten some Axolotl eggs and am setting up the tank that they will be going into when they are old enough but am wondering if some type of Siren might go well with them if kept the same size. Sorry if it seems like a silly question. I'm sure most of you keep species spacific tanks for all your critters, but the tank is a 135gal 72"L x 18" D X 22" H. It has a built in overflow box and lvl can be adjusted by a sandpipe inside the box as low as 5". It also has a 120 gal sump on it so water quality shouldnt be an issue. I would like to plan ahead when setting up the tank if I am going to mix species so that they all have somewhere in it they feel comfortable. It will more then likely be half planted (back half) with the front being quarter sized fossles collected while river diving in Michigan with some smooth slate caves and what not, but that is why I want to do my research now so I can set it up for optimal comfort for the critters in it.

Thank you all in advance for all your great info,
Rob Roy

Rob , from what you stated I suspect you know that mixing species is almost never a good idea for many reasons. The size of the tank is just one possible negative and although you have that covered, I don't see these two species as compatible in least. Axolotls ferocious eaters and can be very aggressive. They are known to try to eat anything they can get their mouth stretched around. I've never kept sirens, but I suspect this is a species that needs its own home as well. I know it is tempting when you have a large tank to want to make an interesting show case, but with caudates it usually ends in disaster.

BTW, there are no silly questions here.

Yea, I figured that was the case was just wanting to double check. I will just have to set up a 2nd show tank for my sirens if I get some....oh noes. I love an excuse to set up another tank. For me that's 1/2 the fun.

Any clue what type that guy is? Or of a link to different types of them?

Thanks again,
Rob

All the way at the bottom of this page you will find the different species of sirens. Hope that helps.

Thank you. that was just what I was looking for!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back