Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Neurergus kaiseri laid some eggs

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
Yep my Neurergus kaiseri gave me some eggs, i seem to be finding more on a daily basis which im not complaining haha. This is my first time trying to breed these guys and it worked, If i had a good picture i would take some pictures, but my camera is really bad. When they hatch and grow a little bigger i will post pictures

Reactions: 454

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: my Neurergus kaiseri layed some eggs

Yes, please, all the gory details.:D Congratulations!

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
first off, i had them in a fully terrestrial setup for about 4 months, then for a half a month like 3 weeks, i set it up so it was half terrestrial and half aquatic, THen within 3 days of putting them in a fully aquatic setup with a decent filter that produced a slightly fast current they laid eggs for me. I am removing the eggs to a different tank just in case the parents try to eat them. I gave them plenty of large rocks and plants to attatch their eggs, and they seem to prefer the plants more. but still laid some on the under side of a rock. I have only used a 10 gallon for the pair threw the whole process. OH yea i let the temps drop around the time i put them in a fully aquatic tank.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! Can you define what you mean by "let the temps drop"? Exact temperatures are rather critical for N. strauchii, so it would be nice to know what temps are enough to get kaiseri going. Do you plan to move them back to a terrestrial setup after breeding?

grius

Reaction score
Congrats! this species reminds me about donald duck, i dont know wy hehe.

Cheers.

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
Yes, they will go back to a terrestrial set up when I am done with breeding. I use my basement a lot to induce breeding for some of my salamanders/newts. For the summer time temps that I simulated, it stayed around 75F to 80F, but in their hides it was nice and cool and moist. Then for the winter time simulation, I left them downstairs in my basement, which gets cold around 40F-45F,
Then I just brought them upstairs to my bedroom and the current temps out side (spring time)are in the high forties and sometimes in the low 60's, so I guess that stimulated them. I was experimenting to see if this process would work, and it did so I am really excited on my part. I thought it would be a lot harder than that.

salvoz

Reaction score
Hi Jen, you mentioned that the temperature drop for strauchii was exact...not sure what everybody else has experienced, but I've got a group of strauchii that just bred using a fairly modest winter drop -it only got down, on average, to around 50-55F over the winter (the coldest water temp I recorded in dead of winter was 45-48F).

Also, with my kaiseri, I recently coaxed the adults (who are kept aquatic year round) to breed after applying a cooling fan to the tank in December, which got the water temp down to around 65F.

By the way, it never really gets cold in LA!

Regards,
Sal

KJ_29

Reaction score
Congrats! this species reminds me about donald duck, i dont know wy hehe.

Cheers.
N_kaiseri7JOHNSON.jpg

Is it that smile by any chance? :p

Monkeyfrogman28, I envy you, going to have loads of these colourful guys about, haha.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1