Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shipping Larvae by mail

caprahircus

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

A fellow Cynops Oriëntalis breeder in the Netherlands has too much C. Oriëntalis larvae. He lives to far for me to collect them. So we dicided to ship the larvae by mail.

I've found tish text about shippping larvae/newts on the site:

Shipping larvae (or axolotls). This is the hardest stage in which to ship, but it can be done. Method 1 (for small larvae): Put the larvae in a plastic soda bottle filled completely to the top with tank water. Pack in a box and ship as quickly as possible. The larvae can die from lack of oxygen if they are too crowded, so it is better to err on the side of sending fewer. Do not include plants, because in darkness plants consume, rather than produce oxygen. Method 2 (for small or large larvae/axolotls): Place water and an equal volume of air into a 1-gallon zipper-seal bag. Seal shut, then seal it again with packaging tape. Place into one or two addition bags, again sealing them doubly with packaging tape, in addition to the zipper seal. Pack snugly in a box.

Source: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/shipping.shtml

My quiestion is, how many larvae could we send in a 0,25 liter bottle? The larvae will arrive one day after they are send. I hope someone experienced can help me.

Thank you,

Jasper

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Can you give us an idea of how big the larvae are first? That way we have a better idea of the space needed.

caprahircus

Reaction score
The larvae are verry small, between just a few days and a week old.

I made a mistake above, it are 2,5 LITER bottles in stead of 0,25.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If it´s next day delivery i´d say you can ship quite a lot of larvae in those bottles.
Anyway, it´s always better to understock the bottle...that way you ensure there won´t be oxygen deficiencies, or waste build up.

I´ve never shipped larvae myself, but i´ve heard of people who have and apparently if done correctly it´s not too risky. Good luck with those!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Ok I'm from the US and if I am reading that correctly then your talking about a 2.5 liter bottle? If so you could fit a ton of larvae in there, ok maybe a slight exaggeration but none the less, at least 20 small larvae could fit in there.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure the water is totally clean, no debris at all, or it'll get all jostled up and "choke" the larvae.
(learned that by experience :( ).

caprahircus

Reaction score
Thank you all for your answers. The Cynops breeder will send the larvae before friday. I'll let you know what the result will be. I'll post it in this topic.

Thanks again.

caprahircus

Reaction score
A slight change, the larvae will be send next week. 15 larvae a bottle, two 2,5 liter bottles.

I'll post my experience here when they have arrived.

caprahircus

Reaction score
I received the 2,5L bottles today. Both containing 16 larvae. They have been in those bottle nearly 24 houres. All of them survived. I've found no dead larvae.

I've put them in a small tank together with a lot of small Daphnia.

Azhael, thank you for wishing me luck. Wish me luck for raising 32 methamorphs now. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1