Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CFB and Axotol in the same tank?

Neuter

Reaction score
I am not seriously considering this, but I was just curious.

Would it be possible to have a CFB and an axotol together in say, a 35 gallon tank? I would think it is plenty of room for a CBF to hide if the axotol bothers it and of course some land area for it get out when it wants to.

Would the axotol eat the CFB? Any toxicity issues?

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Toxicity won't matter because the axolotl will get to be MUCH bigger than the CFB and have rather powerful jaws.

Either it'll pull all the legs off the cfb and it'll die. Or it'll suffocate it/tear its head off. I guess if you're into disgusting, thats a way a go.

There is a whole page on species mixing diasters.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Regarding toxicity, I would bet that it would kill the axolotl. Hell, I had an opossum get in my house somehow and eat 5 of my Cynops orientalis. The opposum died there shortly after.:rolleyes:

jcb118

Reaction score
Regarding toxicity, I would bet that it would kill the axolotl. Hell, I had an opossum get in my house somehow and eat 5 of my Cynops orientalis. The opposum died there shortly after.:rolleyes:

That is the worst story I think I've ever read on this forum. Awful in so many unlikely ways. and really, that word "somehow" is doing a lot of work in that story.
My sympathies for your C.O. and their incredibly unlikely demise.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
That is the worst story I think I've ever read on this forum. Awful in so many unlikely ways. and really, that word "somehow" is doing a lot of work in that story.
My sympathies for your C.O. and their incredibly unlikely demise.

Hahaha, I completely forgot I had this thread about it complete with pictures.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Your Cynops would definitely end up as an axolotl snack. Most inter-species mixes end in heartbreak for the owner.

(The bit about the possum, while sad, is reminiscent of an errant raccoon and my Betta splendens breeding operation years ago... I too have no idea how a 35lb raccoon got into my house, but 200+ Bettas did not fare so well.)

ferret_corner

Reaction score
What I find sorta amusing is that I had a pet racoon and a pet oppossum when I was a kid living in Texas and I've always wanted at least a pet racoon again. Rackety was a blast.

I guess no pet racoons for me until there are no more display newt & sal tanks.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1