Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger salamander colors

damien

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of Tiger salamanders (mavortium in particular), but I like the animals that are yellow+black. I've seen lots of pictures of tigers that are more brownish-yellow + black. Is this just dirt, or are there different colorations even in the same species? (In Ambystoma m. m. I see the bright yellow ones and the brownish-yellow ones.

Can anyone explain how the coloration works?
I've seen the images at caudata-culture and they show a difference in coloration between different subspecies, but color differences within the same subspecies are vague to me.

IanF

Reaction score
I can't give you a decisive answer but my personal experience is that it really depends on the individual. My Tiger's color are very bright but I've seen other Tiger Salamanders in captivity who's colors are barely visible and very bland.
However as you say this may be because of the subspecies of Salamander- in captivity it's near immpossible to identify the exact sub-species of your animal because they come from various suppliers and you'd need to track down where they or their parents were taken from the wild, and even then the two parents may have been different sub-species or the stockist may not even know.
Sorry if this hasn't answered your questions. All I can say is that most Tiger Salamanders never look the same and the only way to get one that you want is to pick it out yourself from a breeder or pet store. Even then, the coloration may chance with age.

So, it's a bit of a lucky dip to be honest.

Hope this has helped,
Ian

visa

Reaction score
It seems that the texas barred are especially hard to come by.

(Note from John: Corrected for punctuation and capital letters - hint hint)

Dasher

Reaction score
it really depends.
i have a bright yellow and black barred tiger salamander and hes great!
but i have seen many more greenish black in the same litter(or batch, whatever u call it). its just different coloration.
really nothing much to say here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1