Spider bite?

Asso

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Today I tried to feed my jfbn a house spider so he would have some variety in his diet. I thought I killed the spider, I put it in really hot water about 5 min before I fed it to my newt. But apparently the spider did not die, and when my Rupert tried to eat it, it escaped :eek: I did not see it bite him but what if it did??

If it did bite him, how fast could I see if it's something wrong with him and if it did bite him is it letal? :cry:
Very hardy animal, that spider!

Rupert seems ok, at first he just continued searching for food and now, he's sitting in the java moss.

Hope anyone can give me some advice!
Thanks.

I would bet that in the wild they eat spiders, and I don't think it would try to eat it if it had any warning colors (like you know how bugs are bright colors to signal that they don't taste good). Do you know what kind of spider it was? I try to avoid give wild caught food just because you never know what its been exposed to. As with any venomous bite (and all spiders have venom) there would most likily be obvious reaction including swelling of bite area. If it did and if it has a toxic effect I'm not sure there would be anything you could do... just no more possibly dangerous food unless your sure it dead...

I doubt that the spider will give your newt any troubles, possibly the other way around...
My salamanders eat small house spiders with great ease and do so quite often in nature.
I would worry about the spider!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back